"Good! Right, I'm going to slip away from here and if anyone asks, cover for me. Say I went to the toilet or something, just keep them away from me so I have the chance to find something real!"

Before he could even object, she was gone. He was left wondering just how much trouble this could get him in to. 

A while passed, frustratingly, their digging had done just what Sally had predicted. Everything that they had dug up looked placed. Small, valueless items that the bald man praised them for as if they had found the crown jewels or something. It all looked as staged as a west end play. Everyone had found something. Not that that something was anything at all. Putting his trowel into some mud, Ben groaned. She'd been right all right.

Had Sally Sue, for once, had the right idea? For all he knew she had found something amazing. Or at least better than the eight 'old' buttons, two broken coins and the one half of an 'ancient' hair comb they had 'found', that looked suspiciously modern and like his mothers cheap wooden one.

Quietly, someone moved to his side and two very dirty hands moved some dirt away as if they were helping.

Sarah pretended to be interested in the hole Ben had been working on. Which was nearly unnecessary as no one had paid him any attention since Sally had left. 

"Eh up, Ben. Teachers are asking where Sally is. I told 'em she was 'n toilet. But that were a'while ago. I said she ain't feel well, you know. What with the long trip to eer' on the bus an' all. But there ain't much more I can tell 'em that won't make it sound serious. Maybe s'bout time you went and got er?" Sarah tried to motion to where Sally had gone off to but covered it up with a scratch on her neck when someone looked over.

Ben frowned. It was hard to weigh up which was worse, the wrath of the teacher or the wrath of a slightly annoyed Sally-Sue? Shrugging, he stood and stretched, giving a little yawn as well. It was about time she got back. The teachers were starting to think something was up.

"Well..." Ben Winked down at Sarah and hoped that she understood. He was grateful she was helping. After only moving here a few months ago, they'd actually became good friends. Despite the difficulties of her accent, at least.  

 "I'm heading to the toilet now, I'll see if she's OK while I'm there".

Feeling like he had covered his exit well enough, Ben made for the toilets, before sneaking off towards Sally and her no doubt hidden spot.

Sally threw down the rock.

It looked like it might have been something. At one time. Long ago. But now it didn't look like much to her and she doubted it was even worth putting aside as a maybe. But still, there were a few that might be something. There was an item she couldn't make out, something that might be some sort of old penny and tiles. Lots and lots of them. Some sort of floor? But was it the castle?

Her hiding spot was working well. No one had seen her. The bush was tall enough to hide her, but not too tall that she couldn't see the others. The rubble that surrounded the area raised her hopes that something, anything interesting would be laying right under her feet, just waiting to be dug up. After all, this castle made history. Somehow. Something about a war? She hadn't listened. History was all the same. Boring and dull. Dull and boring. Who cared about a time that people used whatever they could for toilet paper? Or people who died from sneezing too hard! Either way, she dug on. 

From her head to her hand-me-down shoes, mud clung to everything. Her skirt was ruined, but it was old too, yet her mother would still have something to say about it though. It was time she had new clothes, she'd over heard her mother say so. Maybe now, hopefully, she would but if push came to shove, she would wear more of her sister's old clothes. How exciting.