Delusional - Chapter Four

Start from the beginning

"Hello, Pet." Patten said, stepping forward before she had the chance to decipher Evie's words. "You don't look so good since I last saw you, no offense. You're really not glowing anymore. How much has he taken from you?" He asked.

Abbi frowned, then shrugged. "My home, my family, my sense of accomplishment, the sun ..."

Patten chuckled softly, though Abigail didn't see what was so funny. "That's not what I meant, even if all those things are truly awful. I meant how much blood has he taken from you, Pet?"

Abbi froze for a moment. The way his voice casually spread over the words made it seem more real than make-believe ... and maybe, just maybe, she had wanted this to be a storybook, where everything ended happily.

"As much as he wants. Its not as if I can stop him."

Patten looked saddened as he glanced toward Evangeline from the corner of his eyes. "Oh come on, Pet, don't be so down-in-the-dumps. If it makes things any better, Nathaniel talks about you quite a lot."

Abbi rolled her eyes with exaggeration. "Yeah. Probably to decide whether my blood tastes best room-temperature or more tropical and warm."

Patten choked on a laugh, watching her with jovial, glistening eyes. Evie cut 

in, her expression serious but her voice laughing.

"You should listen to him, Abbi." She said slowly. "Nate does talk about you a lot. Something about the look of your eyes."

Color of my eyes? Abbi thought, dumbfounded. She opened her mouth, preparing to object, but before Abbi could say anything more, someone cleared their throat behind Evie and Patten.

Her eyes found his figure, watching as Nathaniel stepped cautiously into the room, his coat hanging from one limp arm and his face a dazzling portrayal of features. Sometimes, the sight of him left her breathless.

"Evangeline. Patten." He acknowledged them slowly, raising his chin and hardening his expression. "What are you doing? She isn't supposed to have visitors."

This statement made Abbi turn into a vile and sour form of herself; her eyebrows turned downwards as she scowled at Nathaniel coldly. Abigail had been stuck in his bedroom for two weeks straight; the only time she'd even walked out the door was to use the facilities just down the hall. Her meals were brought to her by Nathaniel and she wasn't allowed any contact with the outside world. So really, seeing a new face was a miracle in itself. And by the looks of it, Evie seemed to support her; the frail girl sat down on the bed and wrapped one slim arm around Abbi's shoulders. With a grunt of indignation, Evie glared at Nathaniel. "How dare you treat a girl like she's some kind of pet. I'd have thought you a gentlemen, Natey." Abbi, her angry facade dropping for a second, smirked at the use of such a childish nickname.

Nathaniel watched Evie evenly, but sighed heavily once she'd finished speaking. "You make is seem as if sharing a bed with me is absolutely terrible." He said flatly, flitting his sharp gaze in Abbi's direction, then back to Evangeline.

"That would be terrible," Patten started, shoving his hands into his pockets, "he's a snorer."

Evie ignored Patten, keeping her emerald eyes trained on Nathaniel. "Let us take her out." She pleaded, "look at how pale she is. I would never treat my Subjugate in such a manor!"

For a moment, Abbi had forgotten that both Patten and Evie were vampires, making Evie's arm around her shoulders suddenly feel weird. They were so easy to talk to, she found herself almost neglecting the fact that they craved blood too. She swallowed, a cold shock settling around her.

Nathaniel shook his head, his eyes were dark and cold. "No thank you. I have plans for her tonight."

Abbi went rigid, uncomfortableness forgotten, she shied against Evie's protective side. Nathaniel watched her reaction, with a thick emotion simmerering in his eyes.