chapter twenty three

Start from the beginning

"Ruth, it's so nice to see you." She said. I stood up and went to shake her hand, but she pulled me in for a hug instead. I was startled by it, and even more shocked when I smelled a familiar perfume. It was the same as the one my mother wore. Something Chanel, rich and dark. My throat closed up a little, and I closed my eyes, forcing the thought from my head.

"You too." I pulled away.  "Did you drive all the way out here? It's pretty far."

The senator shook her head, and squeezed my shoulder.

"No, sweet girl. I have a driver. Has Lex talked to you about the upcoming trials?" She asked suddenly. I frowned, taken aback.

"I've been sick, Senator Finch, and he tries to shield me as much as possible from what happens in the news. Why?"

"I asked him if you would testify. Think about it, Ruth, please, and let me know. It would be a great help. Now, if you'll excuse me."

She patted my hand, and went up the stairs. I stared after her for a moment, upset. Lex hadn't mentioned any trials or testifying. He rarely told me about his work or his projects, but this was different-it was something that directly affected me.

The old suspicions that Lex was up to something less than clean were beginning to rise up again. I didn't want to question him. He was indubitably smarter than I was, and I was sure he knew what he was doing-but it didn't sit right with me.

I made my way into the ballroom, and sat down on the white floor. The glass ceiling revealed a blazingly bright day, the sky a cold blue. I remembered cool fall days back home, before everything happened. Apple orchards, pumpkin patches, watching horror films in my basement with my friends. I wondered briefly if my friends were worried about me, or of they had already forgotten me and moved on. I wondered, too, if my house was sitting empty, or if the bank had repossessed it.

My sneakers squeaked against the pristine floor as I stood up. There were voices coming from upstairs, low, angry voices. I hid by the door frame as the senator stormed out of the mansion, her coat flying behind her. Lex threw a glass off the balcony, and it smashed on the marble floor, sending shards flying. I yelped and leapt back as a few flew by my head, pressing my back to the wall.

"Ruth?" Lex called.

I remained silent. The smell of expensive alcohol rose from the shattered glass, irritating my throat. I tried to stifle a cough, but failed. Immediately, Lex came around the corner, grabbing my arm.

"Are you hurt?" He asked. I shook my head mutely. "I'm sorry, my love. I didn't realize you were so close."

"It's okay." I said shakily. "I'm fine. What happened?"

Lex made an angry face, his lips tightening.

"None of your concern." He said tightly.

"Just like how the trials are none of my concern?" I blurted. "Senator Finch said she wanted me to testify."

Lex's grip on my arm tightened, and I whimpered, sure it was going to bruise. His eyes flashed dangerously.

"You're right. The trial is none of your concern. And senator Finch is a corrupt old windbag. You're not to talk to her again."

"I want to testify." I said, and tried to pull my arm away. Lex only yanked my closer to him, so I was pressed against his chest, staring up at him. I felt frustratingly out of control.

"You're not going to testify, Ruth, and that's final." He said firmly. "Don't ask again."

"Then at least let me go to the courthouse." I begged. "Please."

Lex closed his eyes, but nodded, letting out a sigh.

"Fine. But only if you're with me every second." He relented. "You hear me? You stay within arm's reach at all times."

I smiled up at him, thrilled to have gotten my way for once.

"I promise." I batted my lashes. "Now, you did promise me a walk outside."

***
The air was crisp, but the sun was warm. The trees had mostly shed their leaves, and I kicked at the piles the gardener had raked, enjoying the sound under my shoes. Lex stood and laughed as I jumped into each one, sending plumes of leaves into the air.

"You are such a child." He chided, as I made my way back to him. I scrunched my nose, and giggled at little, before a shiver wracked my frame.

"Are you cold?" Lex asked, rubbing my arms.

"No." I said. "I'm having fun."

"That wasn't the question." Lex rolled his eyes skywards. "Like I said. A child."

I squinted my eyes at him. Lex reached out, and took my hand, pulling our intertwined fingers into his jacket pocket.

"Don't pout, it doesn't suit you." He said, and we began walking back towards the house. "Come on. If you're good, I'll make you hot chocolate when we get inside."