The Friend

The first few weeks in a mainstream prison did not go so well for me

The first few weeks in a mainstream prison did not go so well for me. News of my crimes, my father and just about every other tiny detail of my life ended up being spread around. I found myself in a situation where I wasn't even sure I was going to get out!

Eventually, I was moved to a woman's prison and still found no energy to get out of this single bunk. I had a handful of cell mates, but they all seemed to move on pretty quick, and soon it was just me with these same white four walls. 44 tiles on each wall to be exact. There was 8 bars on the window.

"18fd4! We have a new roommate for you. She's a young girl whose recently had her baby inside of the institute. Since you are one of the few with a child, and the only mother in here that has no cell mates. We're putting them in here with you"

"Oh joy!" I answered not giving the guard an ounce of my energy.

"Jacobs! This is your new cell mate."

I caught her glancing at me, I hadn't made many friends in my time here

I caught her glancing at me, I hadn't made many friends in my time here. But I figured she was worth my effort.

"Desireé, yours?" I mumbled as her eyes widened.

"Alexis, and she doesn't have a name... yet" she said in an almost whisper.

"Do you have kids?" She asked as I nodded.

"A daughter, Alijah" I answered shortly fearing to burst into tears before I sat up.

"she named after somebody?" She asked quietly perching herself and her baby on the end of the bunk opposite me.

I nodded. "Her Daddy- His- his names Elijah"

"It's beautiful... I was thinking Nicolette... for her I mean"

"Nicolette. Hmm, it's somewhat elegant. How long you got with her until they- if they take her I mean" I asked curiously as she blinked.

"At least a year. I'm hoping to be out of here by then though..." she replied her demeanour changing from apprehensive to sad.