Chapter Forty (Oh my, that's a lot.)

Start from the beginning

Do it.  Do it!  Jump off!

There wasn't anyone on the bridge at the time, and the idea of my complete annihilation was becoming strangely appealing.  I stepped onto the next rung on the railing, putting me even in a worse position.  If someone were to push me...

That pesky voice was like someone whispering in my ear.  But then there actually was someone there.  

"Come now, Elle," Paul chided.  He was dressed in all black, and his hair was windswept back.  In the darkness, his eyes seemed to glow.  "It's not as if it would hurt."

"You...you want me t-to jump?"  I was mildly horrified.  I looked down at the water, and my hands began to shake.  My grip on the rail wasn't a firm one.  

He chuckled darkly.  "Don't we all?  You don't belong here, Elle.  You know that.  The lads and I would be better off without...a distraction."  The Beatle lit a cigarette, as if this was a casual conversation about the weather.  The flame from the lighter illuminated his entire face.  There was something different about this Paul, something...dark.  "You weren't much help in the first place, just another burden."

A tear dripped off my cheek and onto a trembling hand.  Paul touched my face for a moment.  "Oh, Elle," he whispered, "you mustn't cry."  He closed his eyes for a moment, and so did I, thinking he was going to kiss me.  But he didn't.  When I opened my eyes, he was just chuckling under his breath.  

"You've got nothing to lose, for you've already lost everything."  Paul stated, circling behind me.  Silent tears continued to slide down my face.  "Your mother.  Your entire family.  All of your happy memories; just gone.  You actually believed John cared for you, or that George wished you were his?  That Ringo wanted to be your friend?"  Getting as close as he could without touching me, he whispered, "And that I would ever love a girl like you?"

"Paul," I cried, reaching with one hand to touch him.  But I lost balance as he stepped back, and I grabbed at the railing again.  He walked to the other side of me.  

Looking down at the ground, he shook his head and said, "Oh, I wish I could help.  But there's only one way for your pain to end."  He nodded towards the river.  "It's not as if anyone would miss you."

"But...George said..."  I stuttered.  "He promised..."

"He lied," Paul said, "Now, would ever lie to you, Elle?  Everything I've said is how you've felt for so long.  It's time for you to go home, Elle."  

There was a voice in the distance.  "Elle!"  It tore me from Paul's gaze.  

"George?"

"Do it now."  Paul tempted.  "Now, Elle!"

"Elle!"

I looked down at the rushing water below, my heart pounding.  If I stepped up once more, it would be past the point of no return.  My life would end.  I'd drown in the river, and no one would ever know what happened to me.  

No more Elle Sullivan.  

"Come on, Elle," Paul chided, begging me to jump.  "Do it!"

Going against all of the warning signs in my head, I leaned foward over the edge of the bridge and George's shouts grew louder and closer.  "What are you doing!"

Paul had disappeared.  "Where...where did he go!"

"Elle, get down from there!"  George shouted when he was only twenty feet away.  

"Stop!" I bellowed.  "Don't move!  Not another step!"  He stopped in his tracks as he realized what I was about to do.  

"What...what do you think you are doing?  Elle, this isn't right.  You can't do this."

My trembling hands clasped the railing.  My legs threatened to give out underneath me.  "Why not!" I sobbed.  "It's not as if you ever cared about me.  None of you cared!"

George slowly inched forward, reaching his arms out for me.  "Of course I care!  I love you!"

Paul appeared by my side again.  "Elle, he's lying," He whispered.  "He doesn't really care.  He just doesn't want to be constantly reminded of you.  Jump now, while you have the chance."

The youngest Beatle took a few steps forward, making the distance between us considerably shorter.  "You don't want to do this, Elle.  You just want someone to tell you not to.  This isn't like you.  You're not thinking right."

"I've never been more enlightened with the truth!  I have nothing, George!  No one ever wanted me!  I've never mattered!"

"Jump, Elle.  Now."  Paul urged.  

George never seemed to notice Paul.  It was like he wasn't even there.  "Elle," George begged, his voice breaking.  "Please...don't do this.  I need you.  I know I've said horrible things to you that have caused you to think you want to do this, but I never meant them.  Life isn't worth living without you." 

My mind was engulfed by the sounds of the river.  As I peered into the black water, both of the two voices blended together into a sea of confusion in my mind.  

"Just jump, you stupid girl.  He doesn't care."

"I love you!"

"Life isn't worth living."

"You've got so much to live for!"

"You're hated."

"You're perfect!"

"Just jump!"

"Don't leave me!"

I let go of the railing, and fell.  All I could remember was darkness.