Infamous Last Words

Start from the beginning

I'm answered with the sound of his monitors beeping.

"She's yours, Carter. I'll stop. These feelings I have for her, I'll get over them. She was yours from the beginning." I say, though my whole body thinks otherwise as a tear escapes. "I'll do anything to be your friend again. I'll do anything to make you better. Just don't go."

He can't go. I won't let him. He's been by my side for as long as I can remember and he'll be there to the end -and this is not the end.

*Jessica Knight*

There's always that one person that can make your whole world crumble down around you. The one person that can make you want to scream until your throat burns and tears blur your vision. The one you that can make it hard to breathe and you find yourself so in love that it hurts because you know they're gone.

And for me, Carter's that person.

Knowing that he's not going to make it only seems to push me over the edge. I don't care who see me. I scream. I scream because of the mistakes I've made. Because of the way I had yelled out him the day he found out about the kiss. I scream because I hate myself. I hate myself for hurting him.

My throat goes dry but I continue to scream until I'm picked up into a pair of strong arms and carried back not the hospital. Even then I continue to hate myself. I let the tears flow, not caring if people think I'm crazy. I've nearly lost someone I love and refuse to be a silent crier.

A hear a door open and I'm sat in a chair. That's when I wipe away the tears and come face to face with Carter. He's lying on the hospital bed, looking peaceful.

Ethan stares at him a second longer before leaving me alone with him. I rush to Carter's side and take his hand in mine as I blurt out everything that has happened. I tell him about both the kisses. About how I regret them and wish they never happened. I tell him I'm sorry for yelling at him and how I won't be able to stand without him.

He's made an impact on my life. He's made me happy again and I can't just let him go.

Still, if he does go, death can't tear us apart.

I run my hand through his hair and my heart leaps a bit when his heart monitor races at my touch. So he's still there. He knows I'm here. I smile and bury my face into his chest. I guess the saying is true, you don't know what you had until you lost it. Though in my case, I almost lost. I know he won't leave. Carter's stronger than the doctor's think. He'll make it through this.

And if he doesn't, screw life, I'll go with him.

~~~

"Jessica, wake up." A sweet voice says while shaking me. "Wake up."

If I open my eyes, I'll just awaken into another nightmare.

"Wake up."

Someone tugs on my hand causing me to groan. I open my eyes to meet a pair of blue eyes.

I perk up but then I realize they're not Carter's but Luke's. My heart sinks and I look over to see Carter still lying motionless.

"You've slept for a whole day in here. Your dad is here." Luke says as he glances at Carter.

"I'm not ready to leave yet." I reply. "I'm going to stay longer."

"But it's almost twelve at night!"

"That's okay. Carter needs me." I say.

He smiles. "Because he loves you, right?"

I touch Carter's cheek and smile when his heart monitor races once again. "Yes, because he loves me."