Prologue

Prologue (9 Years Before)

"Maddie! Are you sure you don't want to come with us? It really is a bright day, a day at the beach couldn't hurt. Besides, you live right next to it!" Exclaimed Kate's mother.

Kate Kurtly was my best friend since pre-school, and now that we were in second grade, our friendship grew really strong.

My parents had always told me to stay away from the ocean, and I just never understood why. We lived right next to it! I loved looking out at the sea. It always felt like something was pulling me closer to it, as if I were meant to be splashing in the water. I've always wanted just to sit and play in the sand, to feel the waves hit me.

But no. I have to be allergic to the water. That's not even possible, right? But my  mommy told me to never enter the water. She said that when I was two years old, they found out that I was allergic to some sort of metal in the water, but I think she's just afraid that I can't handle the large waves that might knock me over and scrape my knees!

"Okay." I said, making up my mind. "I'll go."

Kate squealed as her mother smiled. "When we get there, I'll call you're mother and tell her that I picked you up from school and headed to the beach." she said, opening the backseat of her car door.

I giggled as I entered the backseat, buckling up with Kate. I was going to do it! I was finally going to swim, just like I wanted to!

"Do you wanna use the bogey board? Or should I use it first?" Kate asked me, picking at the hem of her green shirt.

"I wanna use it." I said. I wanted to feel like a princess. My dream was finally coming true.

"Are you sure? It's pretty hard to use." Kate said, now pulling a long line of fabric out of her shirt, causing it to bundle up into small green loops.

"I can do it Kate!" I said, crossing my arms. I didn't care if she thought I was weaker than her. Even though I wasn't as fast, my arms were definitely stronger for some strange reason.

"We're here." Kate's mother said. I stuck my head out of the car and closed my eyes as I smelled the salty sea air. I was meant to be here today. The lords of the seas, as my mother always said, meant for me to be here. It was where I belonged.

"Open the door, doofus!" Kate said, leaning over and pulling the handle, making us both tumble out in a heap of laughter.

"Hey, I can see my house from here!' I said, pointing at my large white home. Kate rolled her eyes.

"Come on girls!" Kate's mother said, helping us up. "Oh, I should probably call your parents now, Maddie." she said, rummaging through her purse before pulling out a cellphone.

"Mom!" Kate whined. "Can we go now?" she said, placing her little hands on her hips. I looked at Ms. Kurtly with a pleading look, as if begging her with my eyes.

She sighed. "Alright, but not too far in. Stay by the shore." she said, turning away. "Hello?' she said into the phone.

We squealed as we ran towards the sea. It seemed as if time was slowing us down as we ran in slow motion through the sand. "Take off your flip-flops! We can run faster!' Kate said, removing her own.

I obliged, leaning forward while still running to take off my polka-dotted sandals. But when I did so, I fell, lurching forward, and one of my shoes got stuck in the sand.

"Hurry up!' Kate yelled, ahead of me. I stuck out my tongue as I reached for my flip-flop.

Kate went wide-eyed. "Mom! Mommy! Maddie stuck her tongue out at me1 Cut off her tongue, mom!"She shrieked.