Fool

Your POV:

Waking up on the fifth morning of our trip, I felt a sense of relief that all the boat swaying and slight boredom would soon be over.

We were one step closer to taking Raven down for good, and that was a thought that put everyone at ease. It still shocked me how calm Kai had been about the whole ordeal.

If you walked up to most people and told them you needed their help to kill your evil aunt that's currently living inside your twin sister, they'd look at you insanely.

Sitting up in my bed, I stretched my arms before reluctantly getting up and going to the bathroom.

After quickly showering, I put on some leggings and a big T-Shirt. My hair was in a messy up-do, and I wore no makeup as usual.

Walking out of the bathroom, I was met with the smell of eggs and sausage.

I took a deep breath as I walked into the kitchen where everyone else was seated and serving themselves food. "Who made this heavenly meal? The scent alone is giving me a foodgasm!"

"I decided I'd be nice today and cook a good meal. Gotta put some meat on this stick." Ban then proceeded to slap my sister's butt causing her to burn bright red and punch his gut.

I crinkled my nose in disgust. "Ewww, get a room. And we weigh exactly the same, so she's not a stick!" I retorted plopping in a chair between Neesan and Meliodas.

"On the contrary, because you are the same weight, you too are a stick." Meliodas countered with a smirk as he plopped a sausage in his mouth.

I gaped. "I am not! Guys, am I a stick?" I asked turning to the rest of the table.

"Yep."-Neesan
"Yeah."-Diane
"Sorry babe, but yes."-Kai
"You're barely even there."-King
"Absolutely."-Ban
"You're thin indeed, but I am not one to talk."-Gowther
"Miss Y/n, you are quite small, but beautiful as well!"-Elizabeth

I groaned. "Gee thanks. So Gowther, what's the plan for tomorrow?"

Gowther pulled out his map and his book of information on Glendale. "Okay, we'll enter through the gates, then get a cheap place to stay here." He said pointing to a motel. "Then, the next morning there should be a tour of the museum holding the spirit box here." He continued, once again pointing on the map. "We're going to have to blend in with the civilians to get past security. No one is allowed even twenty feet within it's distance, so someone is going to need to cause a distraction in order for us to grab it. Otherwise, the commotion will be huge."

"There's one other thing we need to consider." Meliodas suddenly piped up. We turned to him. "What is it?" "Well, the spirit box is expensive and dangerous, so there's bound to be Holy Knights guarding it right?" Kira sighed. "I'm so tired of dealing with those guys. We can take em easily though, especially now that we have our magic again." She said sharing a look with Neesan and I as we nod along.

"But the civilians would get caught in the fight." Diane pointed out. "She's right, we'd be endangering the people we're trying to protect. Not to mention the damages to Glendale." Elizabeth agreed. I sighed. "Well, we're gonna have to hope it doesn't come to that." With a silent nod, we returned to eating, much more serious than before.

That night, Meliodas, Neesan and I were on the balcony watching the stars.

"Are you nervous for tomorrow?" Neesan quietly asked me. I slowly nodded. "I don't want anyone to get hurt, but if we don't get that box, we're all as good as dead. I'm worried about Raven too. If we manage to fail getting her into that box, she's gonna be pissed and Kira's death will probably be the result of that." Meliodas put a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

"We won't let that happen. I promise." I smiled slightly at him. It was good to know I could still rely on Meliodas after everything I've put him through. "You know, these might very well be the last day of our life." Neesan suddenly remarked.

With a glare, I harshly said "Gee, that's exactly what I wanted to hear right now." He looked me in the eye with the cold demeanor he had when I first met him, the demeanor of a person who knows the cruelty of fate. "I'm being realistic. If we die tomorrow, aren't there things you're going to regret not doing or saying?" He said the words directly to me, but it felt like they were directed elsewhere.

"Neesan...you will live tomorrow, and we'll go home and you can be with Mi-" "You can't guarantee that Y/n! No one can say for sure I'll get to to back to her! I love her, god damn it, and I realized it way too late." I hugged him tightly and he hugged me back, taking a deep breath before releasing me. "I didn't mean to yell at you. It's just hard." He paused and looked at Meliodas. "He knows what it's like to realize it's too late." With that, Neesan left Meliodas and I alone on the balcony.

"What does that mean?" I asked confusedly. Meliodas shook his head. "Not now." I put my hands on my hips. "I hate to say it, but Neesan is right. There might not be a tomorrow. So you might as well say it now."

Meliodas seemed to take me in for a second, so I crossed my arms across my chest feeling suddenly self-conscious in my lazy attire. He seemed to notice the change and looked away from me.

"Y/n, I know it's far too late to say this. I know you're with Kai. I know you're in love with him and I know you're happy, but that doesn't change the truth."

He turned back to face me as my blood began to run cold. It couldn't be. He wouldn't. Not now. There's no possible way.

"I know you don't want to hear this, and I'm sorry it took me so long to realize it." I began slowly shaking my head with a fearful expression. "No...no...no..." I began backing away, but it was meaningless as he moved forward with each step I took.

He nodded slowly. "Y/n...please...listen to me..." "Meliodas, this isn't fair! You can't just come in after all this time and expect me to-" "I know...I know it's not fair. But that doesn't change it. Y/n..."

He placed a cautious hand on my cheek, and I hated myself for letting him and leaning into the warmth.

"I love you." He said looking sincerely into my eyes. I felt tears well up in my eyes. "I love you." He repeated, leaning in closer to my face. "I love you." A tear drop fell down my cheek as he pressed his lips gently to mine.

My eyes fluttered closed as I wrapped my hands around his hair.

This is real. No truth spell. This is Meliodas and his choice to love me.

I love him. God, I love him. How did I ever think I was over those feelings?

All of an sudden, an image of Kai's smiling face flashed into my mind as I shoved Meliodas back with a look of horror on my face. "No! No! No! God damn it Meliodas! What the hell makes you think this is okay?!"

"Y/n-" "No! Just stop! Just...stop!"

I ran out the door and into my room, slamming the door shut and huddling my knees to my chest against it.

I cried, and I cried hard.

I cried for Kai, whose feelings I had mistakenly taken advantage of. Whose heart is pure and kind. Whose love I thought I reciprocated. How could I have cheated on him with the man I swore I was over now?

I cried over Meliodas, who had suddenly decided to reappear and confess his love for me. Where were those feelings a year ago? A month ago? Why confess now? And why did Neesan seem to encourage it?

I cried for myself, not out of self-pity, but out of my selfishness and monstrosity. I have cheated on Kai, led Meliodas on, and lied to myself. What a mess I'd become. How did it ever get this bad? The center of everyone's problems is me. And what's worse, whenever I try to fix it, it grows into a monstrosity.

When did everything become so hard?

I am truly a fool.