Prologue

I remember when I first met Jack. 

I was on the deck of the boat. I was on my way to my parents in America. They went to find work in the great country. A better life for me and our family. 

I was to stay behind till they called for my return. 

I was always bored. There wasn't children on this boat. I was alone to keep myself occupied on a ship full of adults. 

The captain and the crew were always very kind to me. 

They played with me when they could. I even got to see how the ship worked. I got to help in the kitchen. I was amazed by everything. But something deep inside me, made me feel lonely still. 

Anyway, I was standing on the deck of the ship, Antonia Graza, I was about to head back to my room since it was dark out and I was tired. The Captain had told me that the ship was going to have a big party to celebrate that we was almost to America in three days. 

But before I could even think of moving to go to my room, I saw what looked like a light. It was getting brighter and brighter the closer we got to it.

I gasped as I relised what it was. It was another ship, and it was on fire!

I rushed over to the first crew member I saw and told him what I saw and he ran to find the captain. 

___

We soon had people helping the surviving crew get on board with the things they could, and that's when I saw him. Jack Ferryman. 

He seemed to be helping a fellow crew member with everything, he was dressed like a he was lower class member on the ship he was on. He looked over at me and stopped for a moment. I gave a small smile and nod to him. 

He seemed to come back to his senses and walked away.

Weird.

____

Anyway. The next morning I woke to the sound of people talking. I got up and put on the pretty blue dress my mother made just for me. I know its a bit early to wear this. But I was excited to show off my mothers beautiful work. 

And I also felt like a princess in this.

I smiled at myself and walked out of my room. I saw that Man from before. He and another man was talking together in hushed tones.

I went to leave them alone when I heard footsteps from their direction jog up to me. I turned to see the man from last night as he came over to me, a smile on his handsome face.

"Hi there. Um the captain said that it was you who spotted us and called for help. I wanted to thank you. If you hadn't seen us, I don't know what would've happened. So thank you." He said. I gave him a smile. "You're welcome." I said.

My stomach rumbled quietly in hunger. I wanted to head to breakfast before they stopped serving it. 

"I'm Jack by the way. Jack Ferriman." He said, as he started following me to the dinning area. "I'm Kathrine. But I like being called Katie." I said. He nodded. 

Jack followed me all the way to the dinning area until I was seated. He sat and smiled. "How old are you? You look like you are to young to be here all on your own." He asked. "I'm ten. I'm going to be with my family in America." I said. 

The server smiled kindly at me as he handed me my food. Eggs sausage and toast. I said a quick prayer before I started eating. "You are religious?" He asked. I nodded not wanting to talk with him anymore.