Mocking

Warning: Agrophobia

He stood outside her door sadly. He didn't mean to make her cry, he was trying to help her.

He hadn't spoke to her that day-in fact, he had just arrived home from work. When he went up to her room, however, her quiet sniffles had alerted him of her sorrow.

His wife was afraid of the world, but he also knew she missed it.

She missed it so much.

So every time he traveled, he brought something back for her. He thought he was helping, but the objects he put in her room caused her so much pain.

She didn't want him to feel bad, so she never told him. She knew he worked hard to retrieve the objects. He'd feel like his efforts were wasted if they only depressed her. But it was too much this time.

He gently pushed open the door, being greeted by the sight of her sitting on the bed, her favorite of the many objects he had gotten for her-a porcelain doll in a cream-colored dress with dark black hair, pale skin and blue eyes-being held close to her chest. He silently walked closer to her, eventually sitting on the bed next to her and holding her close.

He kisse the top of her head, caressing her dark brown hair. "Rachael, what's wrong?" he asked, though he already knew the answer.

"These objects... They're mocking me. Why? Why do they taunt me so? They're calling out to me, Adam." Rachael replied, sobbing into his chest. "I envy them. They've been so many places, seen so many things!"

"Shh," Adam cooed in her ear. "It will be all right."

Rachael layed her forehead against her husband's chest. "I love you." she said.

"I love you, too." Adam replied, kissing the top of her head.