AVALANCHE (THIRTEEN)

THE bride was no doubt the most beautiful woman that day behind the white veil covering her divine face. She was wearing an elegant white dress, molding her heavenly curves as if she didn't give birth to a beautiful baby girl just a few months ago. Her gown was anything but simple. In a trendy wave of wedding dresses with intricate designs, she chose a less detailed one. That doesn't make her less classy though. She still stands out.

"The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw you in my hotel lobby was my favorite holiday of the year. Christmas. You reminded me of Christmas." The groom sniffed as he was opening his vow. I think half of the people in the place were teary-eyed. Including me.

"Come on, babe! You can't be that unoriginal!" Umugong ang tawanan dahil sa sinagot ng bride. Natatawa rin akong tumingala, sinusubukang pabalikin ang mga nagbabadyang luha sa aking mga mata.

Even the groom was laughing. "Well, cliché as it is, you had me at first sight."

"Ang corny talaga ni Kuya Keeno!" Umiikot ang matang bulong ni Matilda sa tabi ko. Pero nang tingan ko siya'y mangiyak-ngiyak rin naman siya. Humagikgik ang karga niyang six-month old baby na si Adelaide, nakornihan rin yata sa vow ng Daddy niyang si Keeno.

I kissed her squishy cheek and she giggled more. Kinuha ko siya mula kay Matilda. "Do you see your parents now, Adele? One day, you're also gonna marry the man of your dreams like your Mom. And it will be a beautiful wedding." I whispered against her cheek but Matilda heard it.

"Av, Adele's only six months old."

But Adele giggled like she understood what I've said. Inirapan ko si Tilly. "See? She liked it. Who doesn't like to marry the man of her dreams?"

Umirap rin si Tilly. "Then when are you gonna marry the man of your dreams?" She asked sarcastically and it hit home.

Dammit.

Naiinis na binalik ko sa kanya si Adele. I looked away, trying to concentrate on watching Keeno and Ada as they exchanged vows. Sa gilid ng mata ko'y nakita ko si Matilda na umiling-iling sa 'kin. I chose to ignore her. Kapag pinatulan ko ang panunukso niya'y siguradong mapipikon ako. Marami siyang pwedeng ibato sa 'kin.

"Baby, I promise to love you and our family more than I love anything else in this world. Handa kong talikuran ang lahat para sa 'yo..." Keeno paused to wipe the tears off his face. "Kung kinakailangang ligawan kita araw-araw 'wag mo lang akong iwan ulit ay gagawin ko...at 'yon talaga ang gagawin ko!"

Adana laughed but she's already crying, too.

"I'm sorry if it took me too long. I already knew I love you a long time ago but I played dumb kaya umabot tayo sa ganito kahabang prusisyon..." Keeno continued. "But I don't regret anything. Every pain was worth it. Kung may bagay man akong pinagsisisihan, 'yon ay ang hindi kita nakilala nang mas maaga."

"It's because you're old!" Everyone laughed at Ada's remark. Keeno annoyingly rolled his eyes.

"Oh, shut up!"

Adana mouthed 'I love you' to Keeno and he mouthed back 'I love you'.

And that moment, I heard my heart whispered to my head, 'I wanted that'. Noon pa man ay alam ko na ang gusto ko but fate had something else for me.

"I regret the times I haven't loved you. But I promise you that I will make up for those years. 'Yong mga taong hindi pa kita nakikilala ay babawiin ko at paghihirapan ko habangbuhay. Mahal na mahal kita, Adana... You have no idea how happy I am that I can finally say those words to you... That I can finally say I love you. I love you...I can't put how much I love you into words, but I assure you, it's too much."