Part 3: Night of The Living Statues

They arrived at the church and approached it slowly. In just twenty-four hours the area had gone from quiet and unassuming to downright sinister. The brothers elected to bring flashlights and a weapon each-just in case.

"So," Sam whispered to his brother, "did Father Tim have something to do with it?"

"Might have been something he did six months ago," Dean murmured back, "but we don't want to make a move unless we're sure."

They crept softly into the courtyard. The outdoor lights on the church sent eerie shadows over the grouping of angels in the corner.

Dean caught Sam's gaze and nodded. "You know the drill," he said quietly.

"Right," Sam responded. "Look for anything out of the ordinary."

Dean nodded and departed to the shadowy side of the courtyard. Sam started his inspection at the very edges of the courtyard: windowsills, walls, thresholds, and all the corners he could see. The brick was old and overgrown, but he saw no sigils or marks or anything that would indicate a supernatural presence. He turned to bring his inspection inward-

and flinched as he nearly came face-to-face with one of the angel statues.

"Gah!" he cried, throwing his hands up.

Dean came running. "What?"

Sam took a deep breath to calm himself. "Nothing," he said, pointing to the statue. "Just creeped me out is all."

Dean snorted. "No kidding," he waved his flashlight over the faces of the grouped statues. "Who puts a bunch of statues in a courtyard like this? And look at that one," he indicated one of the statues with outstretched arms. "That looks like one seriously pissed-off angel."

Sam had to agree; the face was twisted into something of a snarl, not at all like the noble, gentle beings that stone angels were supposed to be. The two brothers began scanning the ground around the statues. Something nagged at the back of Sam's mind... something about the angels...

"Oh, that's it!" He cried.

"What is?" Dean asked.

"Six months ago," Sam answered, gesturing to the figures around them, "the church was collecting these angel statues in batches, and the last one came about six months ago. There wasn't a picture, but I saw the article when I was trying to find ones with pictures."

Dean began to take a closer look at the praying madonna nearest to him. "So the church gets a bunch of creepy-ass angels... and then people start disappearing..."

"Only to have died thirty years before they were said to have disappeared," Sam noted wryly.

"So..." Dean's voice got a teasing edge to it, "Maybe it is angels..."

"Dean."

Sam spoke in a hollow voice. Dean had lost sight of him, but found his brother at the back of the gathering of angels. A few of them had their hands stretched out toward the one Sam was shining his flashlight on.

"What is it?"

Sam shifted the beam to the angel's hand, resting down near its side. "Look."

Dean squinted and leaned close. There was a faint brownish sheen of a dark substance staining the fingers of the hand. "Is that... blood?" he gasped.

"DEAN LOOK OUT!"

Dean pitched forward as Sam blasted something behind him with his rifle. A stone arm landed on the pavement next to him-an arm with claws at the end.

"What the hell??" He pointed his flashlight upward to the angel statue standing behind him, the one now missing an arm because of Sam's shot.

The face that leered down on him was not like anything carved by hand, and definitely not fitting for a churchyard.

Sam was shining his flashlight at every statue, his nerves on high alert. "I saw it move!" he panted as he hauled Dean to his feet. "It was just standing there, and then I blinked, and-"

"Another one!" Dean saw that same fanged, nightmarish face and blasted the statue reaching as if to grab him. "What the hell are these things?"

The boys stood back-to-back, pointing their flashlights at the statues. Most of them stayed where they were-the praying ones, the smiling ones-but every so often, they would turn and there would be another one of the "monster angels", reaching toward them and inching closer.

"Just keep staring!" Dean said. "Don't blink! They move when you blink!"

They barely made it back to the center of the courtyard, when a steady wheezing, groaning sound filled the air.

Sam desperately wanted to look around, but he dare not take his eyes off the creepy statues that shifted position in the shadows. "What's that?"

Dean saw a light in the shadows. It started out as a simple beam, then gradually he could make out windows, a tall, rectangular object... and the words POLICE CALL in glowing letters across the top.

"Quick!" he yelled to Sam. "These things move in the shadows, so we'll just hide in the phone booth till daylight!"

"Phone booth?" Sam hollered back. "What-"

"Go!"

Dean gave Sam a tug as the two of them scuttled forward, away from the angel statues. Dean reached the narrow blue door first and threw it open, diving inside the cramped interior. Sam came hurtling after.

"Yowch!"

"What?"

Sam cradled his forehead in his palm. "Smacked my head," he said.

When Dean didn't respond with a smart-ass remark, Sam looked up...

... Way up.

Dean was still staring around him. They had thought they were hiding in a tall, narrow box, but the inside was as sleek and as brightly-lit and as spacious as the bridge of a star cruiser right out of a science fiction novel. The wooshing sound came from the tall column in the middle, pumping up and down like a piston. Lights flashed, alarms bleeped. Dean saw stairs-stairs? In a phone booth?

"What the hell is this place?" Sam gasped.

A woman's voice issued from somewhere far away.

"Doctor? That you?"

The Winchesters stared numbly as a petite brunette with a British accent appeared at the top of the stairs and ran down without looking at them. "Doctor, what did you mean by running off like tha-"

She froze when she saw the two strangers standing in front of the door. Dean immediately thought how much prettier her brown eyes were than Flo's. Those brown eyes were very wide as she stammered, "Oh... you're not him..." She blinked and recovered far faster than they did. "Who the hell are you two, and what are you doing on the TARDIS?"