6

Aiderang the doorbell. He had spent the last couple of hours since hisrun-in with Rainer getting ready for his night on the moors. Hestood on Nats' front step with a rucksack that seemed bigger thanhim, crammed full of crisps, sweets and drink. He had even chosennot to bring a pillow in the effort to carry more junk food. He worehis best hoodie, the one with a faded picture or Patrick McGoohanfrom The Prisoner on it, and his black combats led down tosome serious footwear. He called them his Frankenstein boots; steeltoe-capped, so a car could roll over them and he wouldn't notice athing. The door was taking an age to open, and his back was alreadytired from lugging the backpack. He rang the doorbell a second timeand it sprang open.

"Quiet! Mum'll hear!"

Natswas dressed to kill. Her short black hair had been styled intospikes, and she wore a skimpy black top which she had designedherself and knocked up on Sandy's sewing machine. Her tight blackjeans had been personalised with a silver pen, her own version of aCeltic design tapering down to her feet.

"Whyare you dressed like that?" they both said in unison.

"Campingnight. Like we said."

Aidewatched as Nats mentally tracked her recent conversations in herhead.

"Oh,crap," she said finally.

"Youforgot," said Aide. "How? It's the same time every year. Iasked you about it on Thursday."

"Iknow, I know! I'm so sorry!"

"Whereare you off then? You look...are you wearing heels?"

Natswas immediately defensive.

"It'sallowed isn't it?" she snapped. "I'm going out."

Aidewas stunned. Nats didn't 'go out'. She went to friends' houses, andmaybe to a gig once in a while, but she always deplored the idea ofgirls dressing up and going out on the pull. She said that when shewanted a boyfriend she'd-

Aideremembered. She already had a boyfriend.

"WithRainer," he concluded. She nodded.

"He'sgot a band, and they're gigging tonight. I'm going to go along andlend a bit of support."

"Whereto?"

"Truro. He's picking me up in his van."

"Whatdid your mum say?"

Natsblushed and pulled the door towards her. Her voice shrank to awhisper.

"Ihaven't told her. I was going to say I was sleeping over at afriends, doing coursework, but she'll never believe that. I don'thave anyone to give an alibi, so maybe..."

Natsstared at Aide, her eyes wide and pleading. It took a few momentsfor him to realise what she was asking.

"Me? Christ, Nats..."

"Iknow, I'm a horrible person, but it's just this one time, and I'llowe you forever." She hung her head to one side, biting her lip. "Pleeeease?"

Aidelooked into her eyes and immediately looked away again. He knew hedidn't have a choice. Of course he'd do it. She held his heart.

"Fine. If your mum asks, you stayed over with me all night."

"Ah,but she'll probably run into your dad or Dev at some point, somaybe..." Again, she proffered for Aide to work out the scenario inher head. She couldn't say it anyway, it shamed her too much. Aideworked it out.

"Bloodyhell Nats! You want me to go and spend the night on a cold, darkmoor, alone, and then give you an alibi while you're out withyour meathead boyfriend?"

Natsnodded sadly.

"Sorry."

Aidecouldn't believe what Nats was asking. She couldn't know what hefelt for her, but surely she knew how much he hated Rainer? Even thethought of his name conjured up feelings of bile and anger. He felthimself go red, the feelings welling up inside of him with no placeto go. He couldn't lash out, so he bottled the feeling up and forcedhimself to look at Nats. He didn't feel angry when he looked at her,just confused. He loved her, but would lie for her while she wentoff with someone else. She was biting her pink lips harder now,pleading. Aide knew what he was going to say.

"Imust be mad."

"Thankyou!" said Nats, jumping forward and hugging him. Aide caught ascent of her perfume, and his mind went crazy. "You're the bestfriend ever, you know that?"

"No,"he smiled. "Just the dumbest."

Hehad just made Nats very happy, and that was enough for him to justifythe lonely night ahead. He turned and walked away to the bus stop.

"Thankyou!" Nats called after him.

"Youowe me big!" he called back.