f o u r

it had been a couple of days since richie had invited eddie kaspbrak to his football game. his band-aided cuts had been fading over time, as if they weren't even there at all, which was the exact opposite of what was happening with richie's love for eddie.

everyday, richie would wait longingly for english class, even if he had to deal with mrs. irwin's annoying voice. in his time that he had spent with eddie in class, he noticed a few things that just made richie more infatuated with the boy.

the boy always dressed in comfy clothing for the chilly autumn weather that included over sized sweatshirts and loose jeans. they were usually held up by a large belt and his fanny pack. his fanny pack was overstuffed; prescription medication, band-aids, gauze, and an inhaler.

eddie was also very smart, excelling in english class. richie would watch in awe as eddie answered almost every class question and get it right, even though he wasn't here at the beginning of the year. he always had his homework and practically flew through the test they had last friday.

richie crossed his arms on the table and rested his head on them. he watched in guilt and anxiety as mrs. irwin came around near his desk, placing his marked test faced down with a slight tut. he knew he should have studied, but it had been so hard for him the last couple of weeks.

hesitantly, he turned over his page and was filled with the dread he had come in touch with so very often this year. a large, fat 'F' sat at the top of his page with big, red marker. reading over his test, he realized he had left a bunch of the questions blank rather than answering them. richie quickly slipped his test in his backpack before glancing towards eddie, who had a proud look on his face before putting his test in his binder as well.

"eds," richie called as he made his way over to eddie's desk. eddie blushed at the nickname, pouting slightly. "don't call me that."

richie mock pouted, mirroring eddie's grumpy expression. "awh, it's cute. i love it," eddie rolled his eyes but still seemed somewhat content with richie's presence.

"what did you get on the test?" richie asked as mrs. irwin kept handing out the tests. eddie shrugged, as if it was no big deal. "an A." richie's eyes bulged.

"wow, didn't know you were super smart," richie said. to be honest, he wasn't surprised. the boy was perfect in every way. eddie blushed. "maybe you could tutor me?"

eddie's eyes widened as richie didn't even wait for an answer, grabbing a pen from eddie's adorably tidy pencil case. he popped the lid off of the pen and grabbed a blank page from eddie's binder.

call me;)

-218-271-3846

folding up the page, he sent eddie a wink before returning to his desk. he spent the rest of the class hoping eddie would text him later.

***

the rest of the day had gone pretty smoothly. the classes went by in a blur and lunch was pretty good. bill had given him half of his salad and he stole some of beverly's brownie. he contemplated inviting eddie over to his table for lunch but decided against it.

ben was still suspicious of richie's behaviour at the football practice and inviting eddie to their table could just confirm all his suspicions.