Chapter 2: New Home

Start from the beginning

My jaw dropped open. "I don't think so!" I exclaimed and stood up from the bed.

He gathered up the shirts. "Oh, you don't think so?" he asked.

"No, I don't," I replied.

"Well too bad. Now change, lose the chains, and take off the makeup," he said, and then walked out of the room.

I stood there, gripping the blue shirt in my hands until my knuckles turned white. He was such a fucking asshole! He couldn't do that! I was almost 18 years old, dammit!

I growled and then changed, murmuring curse words. I tore my chains off and then my smaller necklaces, tossed them on my dresser, and then stormed across the hall to the bathroom. I grabbed a wash-rag, soaked it in warm water, and then scrubbed my makeup off. I hated going without my makeup. It made me look plain, and it made me feel like I had no originality.

After I was finished with my makeup I heard the front door open. Voices filled the house, and I heard Michael's laughter. He expected me to be kind, but I wasn't going to be at all. Don't speak unless spoken to. Yeah, right! If he was going to be ridiculous, I was going to be as well.

I practiced my fake-nice smile, straightened out my clothing, ran a brush through my hair, and then walked downstairs calmly into the living room where the guests were. There were tons of older wolves here, none my age. Michael was amongst them, talking with a couple. He was smiling like every alpha did: confident, easy-going, dazzling. I walked up to him with my own confident smile, except I made sure there were hints of wickedness.

Michael looked over at me as I approached, gave me the once-over, and then smiled again. "Ah, yes," he said.

I stood beside him and looked over the couple he was speaking to. The man was tall with light blond hair, green eyes, and a thin build. The woman was just a few inches shorter than him with flowing brunette hair and very judging hazel eyes. One word rang in my head: bitch.

"James, Kimberly, this is Renae, the daughter of the Winter Pack's alphas," Michael said, motioning to me. "Renae, this is James and Kimberly."

The man, James, held out his hand. "Nice to meet you, Renae," he said. "Your father is a brilliant man."

I smiled at him. "I wouldn't be so quick to use the word 'brilliant' to describe my father," I replied.

Michael and James stiffened.

Kimberly didn't hold her hand out. "Very nice to meet you," she murmured.

I gave her a long look. "Is your hair-color natural?" I asked.

She shook her head, smiling a little. She thought I was giving her a compliment. "No, my natural hair-color is black," she replied.

"Oh," I said. "It doesn't go with your complexion at all. It brings out your wrinkles. How old are you?"

Her mouth dropped open. Michael's fists clenched at his sides and I had to froce back my grin. "Excuse us," Michael said, and then grabbed my arm, leading me into the dining room. "What the hell was that?"

"That was me helping a girl out," I replied.

I saw his fists clench tighter and his jaw become set. "I won't be able to keep an eye on you all night," he began. Maybe he would send me up to my room so that I wouldn't have to play miss goodie-goodie. "So, some of the wolves your age will be watching you."

There were only a few younger wolves of the Dahlia Pack, and they were all preps. My friends and I hated them to no end. "So now you're going throw me to a bunch of prissy pups?" I asked.