A Couple's Hunger

Start from the beginning

Routines were explained calmly but firmly by the couple. Rules of the house were but few: No entry into the cellar, which remained locked anyway. Not to stray from the house grounds unless Jessica or Charles were with them. In regards to the slope which led to the near cliff, footing was treacherous before the edge. The danger was not apparent and would catch one up if unaware. And it was stressed most seriously, no going outside after sunset.

Charles explained that there were dangers to be found outside the house at night. Such dangers were not present, nor were they obvious during the daylight hours.

There were three large dogs who shared the house. Each had a unique look. The dogs had a strong and somber disposition in common. Pesho recognized their wolf-like temperament from the stories told in his village. He confided his thoughts to Janz, who dismissed the other's worry. Jessica had overheard their whispering, which surprised them as she had been reclining in a plush chair far across the grand room. Her face had been hidden behind a newspaper.

Lowering the paper to eye them over the top, she said, "You know, Pesho, every village has such stories. They were invented as amusing sport to scare children and weak minded adults."

As she spoke, the animals gathered beside her, attracted to the soothing voice. Each animal was stroked in turn before she said, haughtily "These are not wolves, but only lovely dogs, friendly in attendance. They are playful within the house and without. Would Janz and Pesho stray from the grounds however, the dogs would herd them back, with authority. I caution you both to keep that in mind."

As she had been speaking, the paper was folded into quarters and laid on her lap; entwined fingers rested lightly upon it.

"The rules as Charles explained them are for your protection. We don't want either of you lost in the wilderness surrounding our meadow. Or hurt by the dangerous wild animals inhabiting the vicinity. That would be troublesome were it to occur. We would be most bothered. For the harmony of the household, I advise you to abide by our rules."

She smiled a tight, flat smile at them. But as she thought better of it, the lips curled up and her eyes glowed roundly before she bounded to her feet and asked with false merriment, "Lunch, boys?"

The dogs followed, prancing energetically behind her as she quickly crossed the room towards the kitchen. She and her entourage disappeared through the doorway arch.

That night, as if to validate the concern Charles had imparted and Jessica had reminded them of, dreadful animal noises were heard outside the house, often far away sounding. But sometimes approaching near. Possibly even pawing below their windows. Though in the light of day, they could find no disturbed soil beside the house.

Time passed. Routines were settled into. Charles was cheerful of the boys' diligence to the household. Jessica tried as she could to match him with the same. But the day had to arrive, being the boys that they were: true to their nature, Janz and Pesho would be Janz and Pesho. The restlessness of things forbidden became elevated to the most curiously attractive; they constantly remained in mind, taunting to be explored.

It started as this: Janz tried to get the other to sneak out at night with him. The dreadful animal noises had not been heard for some time. What had replaced them, at least for the last several nights, had been soft, gentle mewing. The sounds seemed to be coming from the grounds just below Pesho's window.

Janz, "It sounded like a lost kitten. The poor defenseless thing. I looked all over today, but couldn't find any sign of it. Maybe it sees our light at night and calls that it's afraid. We must rescue the kitten. It's in danger."

Pesho said, protesting, "We aren't allowed." It wasn't just words to him. He really was worried from Charles' warning.

Janz, "You're superstitious just like the old women in my village. They would get scared of invisible things in the dark as well."