chapter twenty one

Start from the beginning

"I would say you're the one with an unhealthy obsession, Luthor." Clark said calmly. "Ruth, remember what I said. Anytime at all."

He nodded at Lex, and walked away, his back rigid. Lex sat next to me, gripping my forearm. His eyes were blazing, and I felt my heart drop at the fury on his face.

"What did he mean, 'remember what I said'? What did he want?"

I wiggled my wrist out of his grasp, rubbing it to get the blood flowing again. My fingers were stiff and sore with the cold, and I flexed my hands to get the blood flowing.

"Nothing. He just said if I ever needed help to call him." I mumbled. "Can we go home? I feel horrible."

Lex stood up, and ran a hand through his hair, sighing loudly. I sat still, unsure if was about to explode, or if he had calmed down.

"Alright." he said eventually. "Let's go."

I fell asleep as soon as I sat in the warmth of the car, and didn't wake up again until we pulled up outside the manor. It was dark when we arrived, and I blinked blearily as Lex opened my door. He was silhouetted against the lights of the house, and I couldn't see his face.

"Come on, Ruth. Let's get you inside." he coaxed, hitting the button to release my seatbelt. As soon as I sat up, my head swam, and I retched, coughing up acidic bile. My knees were weak, and my legs crumbled beneath me when I tried to pull myself to standing.

"Are you alright?" Lex said worriedly, as I retched again, kneeling the gravel. The sharp stones cut into my knees, but stars were filling up my vision. "Ruth?" Lex asked frantically.

I coughed, and reached up to wipe my mouth, my hands shaking. I could hear my pulse rushing in my ears, fast and humming.

"I don't feel well." I began to cry, hot tears rushing down my cheeks. "I want to go to bed."

Lex rubbed my back, and then looped an arm around my waist, helping me to my feet. I stumbled, my legs leaden beneath me.

"Alright, okay, sweetheart." He soothed, but the world was falling away, my limbs slackening as I passed out onto the cold ground.

***

I came to laying in bed, wrapped in the soft duvet. My entire body ached, and my throat burned. As soon as I opened my eyes, Lex was hovering over me, pressing the back of his hand to my forehead and neck. He looked so concerned that I giggled.

"You're awake." Lex said, relieved. "How do you feel?"

"Like I've been run over by a bulldozer." I replied, closing my eyes again. "What happened?"

Lex sat down on the edge of the bed, taking my hand in his. I realized I was wearing one of his tshirts, and my dress and sweater were nowhere to be seen.

"You passed out." He said, studying my face. "And you stayed out for about an hour. I was about to call in and get you taken to the hospital."

I pulled myself free of the duvet, and tried to sit up, but Lex pushed me back down, my hair billowing out around my head.

"Where are my clothes?" I looked around the room. Lex smirked a little, and then his face pulled back to it's worried expression.

"You were shaking, and I was worried your dress would choke you." He explained. "And I thought you'd be more comfortable in-"

"In your clothes?" I cut him off, and smiled a little. "I am. Thank you."

Lex kissed my forehead, and I closed my eyes, revelling in the peace of the moment.

"Are you alright, though, Ruth? Should we take you to the hospital?" He asked. "I called the pediatrician who treated you after the accident and he said only if you were acting confused, or your pulse was weak, otherwise just to treat your symptoms." He rambled on.

I bit my lip, and shook my head. I did not want to go back to that place-the three weeks I had spent there had been absolute hell. Lex put his hand to my forehead again, and I shivered at the coolness of his skin.

"I just want to sleep." I said quietly. "You'll stay with me, right?"

Lex nodded, and ran his hands through my hair. I melted into the touch, and sighed, squeezing the hand that was wrapped in mine.

"Of course, my love. Do you want me to read to you?"

I nodded, and Lex stood, pulling away from me. I whined a little, and he laughed, crossing the room to his bookshelf.

"What would you like? Poetry? Nabakov? Hemingway?"

"The Old Man and the Sea." I answered, and Lex pulled a book from the shelf. It was worn out, the pages barely holding onto the bent spine. Lex sat next to me, and put his arm around me, pulling me to his side.

I barely listened to the words, simply allowing myself to drift off. His voice rose and fell, and the warmth from his body relaxed me. His fingers ran over my scalp rhythmically, and gently, gently, I drifted away into a dreamless sleep.

a/n: sdfgjkl I  just really wanted to write a soft chapter but! I needed to keep the plot moving so expect the next chapter to be nothing but fluffy nonsense :))) love y'all loads and loads!

ps once this book hits 1000 reads i'm going to do a special chapter so keep reading

love ivy