Chapter 3

The days I spent with Sesshomaru were long and boring. I rode, ate, and slept on A-Un's back with Rin as it was still too painful for me to move on my own.

Rin, much to my surprise, was the one who would change my bandages and critically inspect the wound for infection, with the occasional help from a reluctant Jaken. She was quite good at it too, for a child.

Sesshomaru, on the other hand, was almost always quiet, walking ahead of us in short strides. He didn't speak very much, and when he did it was usually to tell A-Un to change direction or to reprimand Jaken for something.

On speaking terms, the dog demon and I would exchange a word or two, a simple 'good morning' or something of the like. And Jaken, well he hardly spoke at all. Oh, well. At least I had Rin to talk to.

Rin, despite being a human child, was very easy to get along with. To be near her was to love her. She spoke constantly, much to Jaken's annoyance and my happiness. She was so bright and cheerful that I couldn't help but laugh at her childish antics.

"Why do you have kitty ears?" she asked me while we rode on the back of A-Un one day, keeping each other company. I smiled and pricked my ears forward.

"I'm a Bakeneko yōkai." I told her with a fanged smile.

Rin giggled. "Oh! Like Lord Sesshomaru is an Inu yōkai?" she asked.

I chuckled. "Yes, a little bit like that. Although Lord Sesshomaru is of much higher rank than I am of that much I'm sure."

That much was true. Being a Daiyōkai, Sesshomaru was of higher status than me in the demon world. Although I was known in many parts of the Feudal Era, I didn't have lands like Sesshomaru did.

I heard Sesshomaru snort derisively in front of us and turned around in the saddle. "What is it?"

"I am a Daiyōkai. I do not approve of being compared to a cat." he said quietly, casting me a simple golden gaze over his shoulder. "Bakeneko." I thought in slight annoyance; I couldn't stand being called a cat, like I was some common pet. I turned back around.

I opened my mouth to ask Rin how she came to traveling with Sesshomaru when a loud caw interrupted the silence I had so gotten used to. I whirled around and saw a giant bird demon swooping towards us. Rin yelped and dove for cover. Jaken stopped A-Un and looked up.

"Oh Lord Sesshomaru! Look there!" he squeaked, trembling. Sesshomaru looked up calmly.

"I see it." he said quietly, not doing anything. The demon screeched and outstretched its talons towards Rin. Rin screamed as the bird snatched her up and began to make off with her. The demon dug its claws into Rin's left shoulder and she cried out.

My eyes widened and I immediately stood up on A-Un's back. I grasped Rin's tiny hand in mine, stopping the bird in its flight. "Do not let go of my hand!" I told her, extending my claws on my other hand. Rin squeezed her eyes shut in fear. I felt her fingers slipping and she screamed. "Lady Mitsuki!"

With my claws I slashed at the bird's foot. The bird cawed and let go of Rin. She yelped and tumbled into my lap. I covered her with my body and glared at the demon.

"Leave us." I spat at it, narrowing my eyes.

The demon blinked its beady black eyes. It opened and closed its beak in a series of clicks. I rolled my eyes and snorted.

"I don't care what Naraku is doing and he knows it. Go! And tell Naraku that Mitsuki said to bugger off." The demon hissed and flew off.

I sat back down and looked down at Rin. "Are you alright?" I asked softly. She nodded, still shaken. "You saved me." she whispered in awe.

I smiled down at her. "Of course I did! Why wouldn't I?" Rin giggled and hugged me around the waist.

I felt a light touch on my shoulder. I looked up to see Sesshomaru looking down at me. "You have my thanks for saving Rin's life." he said sincerely. I smiled bashfully.

"Well I wasn't about to let her become lunch, Lord Sesshomaru." I replied. He nodded once. "Yes that is true but I must ask: how is it that you were able to communicate with the demon?" His tone wasn't accusing but simply curious.

I bit my lip. There was a reason as to why demons would obey me, a reason I didn't wish to discuss. I shrugged. "Not really sure. I've always had control over lesser demons."

It was almost the truth. I knew the reason why I could speak with demons, but I didn't necessarily know how it was possible.

"Hmm. You told it that you didn't care what Naraku was up to." Sesshomaru pointed out. "Might I ask what the demon told you?"

"It said that my- er... that Naraku was planning... something. It didn't say what exactly but that we would be wise to stay out of his way." I relayed to Sesshomaru what the demon told me.

Sesshomaru snorted. "Hmph. Naraku is a slimy lowlife." And he walked off without another word on the topic.

"Come Jaken." he said tersely. Jaken jumped up and tugged on A-Un's reins. "Yes my lord!" he squeaked.

We jolted forward and began to move again.

~~~

The demonic bird could see the outline of its master's castle up ahead. The bird dove into the open window and into a massive room. Siting with one hand casually thrown over his knee and with his back against was a man. A young child sat beside him, dressed all in white and holding a small, circular mirror. The man wore the pelt of a white baboon and was intently watching the mirror through the black eyeholes of the baboon mask.

His name was Naraku.

The demon landed at its master's feet beside the girl. Naraku turned his head. He slowly raised a pale hand and lifted the mask of the baboon, revealing his long black hair and his pale eyes.

"Speak." he said, his voice silken soft and as cold as chipped ice.

The demon dipped its black head and began to click its beak, telling Naraku all that had happened.

Naraku, once the demon was finished telling its tale, chuckled, a low and menacing sound.

"Oh the silly girl... How little she knows." He paused and shook his head, his long black tresses falling into his eyes. He didn't bother to move them. "I cannot wait to see you, my dear, dear Mitsuki." He grinned an evil grin and pressed the tips of his fingers together. The girl at his side tilted her head ever so slightly.

"Naraku, what is it you plan to do?" she breathed, her voice as light and as soft as air.

Naraku's eyes flickered to the girl and he chuckled, the sound as dangerous as the growl of a panther.

"Fear not, Kanna. I have a plan. Mitsuki shall come here, along with Inuyasha." His eyes lit up with a dark malice. "And both of them will die here."

~~~

"Inuyasha can't we stop now?" Shippo whined.

The group had been traveling for hours on end, trying to lose a tail of spider yōkai.

"I agree with the fox." Koga grumbled. "We're all exhausted!" The wolf-demon stretched. "I'm so stiff." he complained, squaring his shoulders.

Inuyasha grumbled. "Is your nose broken?" he snapped.

Koga frowned. "No."

Inuyasha growled. "It's gonna be if you don't shaddup!"

Sango sighed and put her hand on Koga's shoulder to stop him from attacking Inuyasha. "Not all of us have your strength, Inuyasha. Or your durability. We should stop and rest for a while."

Inuyasha sighed. "Fine. But just for a little while." He sat down and everyone else sighed in relief. Kirara laid down and curled up. Inuyasha leaned against the bark of a tree and shut his eyes.

In moments even he was asleep.