2

A/N: This story is going to get dark, I thought to warn you before reading. 

_____

"Beautiful," I whispered, my hand barely reaching the painting of mama that dad hung in his office.  The artist had done an immaculate job of bringing out the love and happiness in her dark brown eyes.  Shiny pinkish and purplish hair fell down over her shoulders in waves.  In my eyes, there was no other prettier than her.

I stretched on the balls of my feet on the cushiony chair I used as a support to get closer to her but I wobbled.

Large hands curved around my small torso.  "Careful," a masculine voice said beside me.

I gave my daddy a small smile, momentarily looking at him.  Then mama got my full attention again.

It seemed we were both obsessed with her.  But my obsession was different from my dad's.  I had the absence of a mother, one who loved me unconditionally.  In my previous life I didn't know love the way she shared briefly with me.  I grew up with many different nannies raising me while my parents worked long hour jobs in different countries.

Rido, on the other hand, spent most of his waking hours in his office.  He would either sit at the chair behind his desk or stand before her picture, talking or staring silently at her.  I was never far from him.

"She's really beautiful," he murmured, his tone soft and full of love.

I smiled again while bobbing my head.  I was only three years old and fully capable of speaking words but I kept silent, unsure about the intellectual progress of purebloods.  I learned that pureblood vampires aged differently from other vampires.  They aged slower until they reached a point they froze in time.

My mismatched eyes shifted to my father, wondering if he reached that level of adulthood; frozen in time with elegance and unnatural beauty.  He was truly handsome in the enchanting sort of way.  Wherever he walked, eyes were drawn to him.  I witnessed the bespectacled scene by the maids, which was why they avoided staring straight into his eyes.

As if he felt my gaze, he turned to me.  His different colored eyes, a mirror of mine, glittered at me.

"This painting is our treasure," he revealed to me.  "It was I who painted this to capture the life essence of your mother and it's through this painting she will stay us."

I nodded while returning my gaze on the picture.  Longingly, I stared at mama.

Daddy was right.  The longer I watched her painting, the more I felt like she was coming to life.

Her serene smile, the light reflecting in her eyes, the shimmering in her hair.

"Mama," I whispered.

My hand reached out to her.  Dad's hands lifted me with ease and finally my little chubby fingers touched the smooth surface of the painting that was suppose to be her cheek.  "Mama," I said again with a smile.

Beside me, daddy was grinning like a madman.

OoO

Obsession.

The word I mentioned before, came again.

This time it came with my education; one dealing with pureblood vampire education.

"You're different, Kyyra," the low baritone of Rido's voice rumbled.  I could feel the tremors from his large hand that held mine.  A long, elegant index finger traced the skin in my inner wrist, reflecting the blood flowing through my veins.  "You're rare.  Your blood is mixed with Kuran and Toma.  And both can be a deadly combination."