🗝 A SCAPEGOAT?- SCENE V 🗝

Gigar & Tekle, encountering Amul, in front of the Castle's gate.

Tekle:

"Where hast thou been? Thou lookest morose. Would thou be fairly courteous to articulate thine emotions to us instead of thee remaining silent?"

Amul:

"Oh, ye! My brethren, you will be in charge of the King's army, for I renounce to mine own duties as chief.
I grant ye the freedom to judge me,
For I am nothing but just a ripper machine to the King.
Just a tool to rip the world apart,
whenever his life is at stake.
Was it only what I was trained to do?
Ye may blame me, but I feel like a fool.
It hath always been about wars calling me forth.
No wife or a faithful companion to warm my mornings,
For I turned a deaf ear to love.
The woman who bore me is mine only heritage in the sphere of the living.
Our sister hath dressed herself to meet death today while she was unnoticed by Ada, her servant.
She is in her room, probably regained consciousness by this precise hour.
Mine affliction is nothing more than the King's scornful deportment.
His condescending ideal of doing the right thing which is quite misleading, as he confounds wrong for right."

Gigar:

"Spare mine ears such news!
Th'rt not trying to jargogle my brain, I hope.
What is happening to our family? First, it was Arthur, then it's her, father and thee."

Tekle:

"I am at loss for words. What made her commit such a foolish act? Besides, thou hast to stay in thy position in the army. We need thee! Forget about our father, think of our people. Who will provide them protection if thou abandonest thine own responsibilities?"

Amul:

"But what is it for me?
I do not need gold and silver as my pay.
I want to feel like everybody else.
Undifferent!
Just like a leopard, I cannot change the colour of mine own skin.
Or the pattern that it hath!
I fear the true God. But I had allowed myself to be lured in the path of unrighteousness.
Where men carry swords for their own selfish gain.
There's manipulation in a hero's mind, for glory corrupts even the most shrewd ones. Before I go, I plead ye to open your eyes, brethren! Please, do so for me, and especially on behalf of the King!"

I turn back to the gate with the forlorn regrets of leaving the King's household. Then, a crying voice catches mine attention.

Ada:

"My lord, may I offer thee some tea before you leave? I beseech thee to consider my kind gesture!"

Amul:

"Please, my brethren, go check on our sister, since she needs you in this critical time."

Their feet have the loath to leave, but they withdraw as soon as Ada stretches the cup of chamomile tea to me.

Ada:

"My lord, thou still holdest my hands! Is that a farewell gesture?"

Amul: