The Three Meetings of Luke and Ella as Told by Novels

With Beowulf open on the oak wood desk to my left and the light of my MacBook Pro glaring into my face in front, I sit in an uncomfortable wooden chair to read.

 As I type away my response, I hear some say, "That is an intriguing insight, if I may."

The male voice holds some mischief in its wake, and I am not ready for any crap to take.

She is ignoring me, that much I know.

So how do I get her to pay attention without her landing a blow?

"What do you want?" She asks as she types real fast.

I could not focus on the paper with the lanky, chocolate haired teenager next to me.

He smells of chocolate and snow. It is an odd yet pleasant smell when mixed with the mustiness of the books.

He needed to leave, "To get to know you."

She scoffs and I am physically hurt. I really do want to know her.

Is that so wrong to want? She has always intrigued me.

"Yeah, and I am the Queen of England." Is the girl's quick-witted refer.

Is he deaf or just that stupid? I have to focus on this.

"Okay, how about this? I will leave you to your manifesto if you tell me your name, mine is Luke." Says the boy next to me.

I glare his way and growl. The low lit building with ancient tomes is no place to talk.

But, she answered me anyway!

"Ella." Then, she puts her supplies back in her messenger bag.

At the immediate end, I watch her flyway.

The next time we met, the fermented alcohol assaults my nose.

It is a dim light and the mahogany tables look black rather than their dark blood red.

I hated it, but my best friend is celebrating.

So, I would be as well.

She hates it here, she always hated the odor of cigar smoke mixed with stale beer.

I honestly cannot blame her, because this place is disgusting.

Still, there she sits with a book open and nothing but a can of ginger ale in her hand but not a hint of cheer.

In four years, how do things change since now she is ashen and, on the outside at least, frailing?

"Long time no see," says he whom I thought I left behind a lifetime ago.

I shut my book gently and place it on the dark, lustrous table. "Alice Through the Looking Glass,"

He continues despite my silence.

How could I talk to him? How could I look him in the eye when all of his hope in me became a burning fire that went out without him?

"Leave me alone, Luke." She answers me as she stands.

I stand with her trying to find some kind of sign of what is wrong.

"Stop it!" Ella snaps at me before taking the Canada Dry ginger ale brand's can and disposing of it.

"Stop staring at me as if you know me! News flash, you don't." I do not know this Ella, but she still can read me like a book.

"I am not saying I am! Why are you suddenly yelling?" He asks me as I turn to walk away... I always am the one to walk away.

"Will you stop and look at me!" I turn around and jab my finger into his face.

"That girl from junior year that you knew is gone!

She is replaced with a monster. She is replaced with a woman who only feels anger truly and deeply because it is better than feeling nothing at all!"

"She is replaced by a woman who wants to be a monster because she can be something! I have given up hope!" She cries.

"You did not lose hope or anything like that! You are ambitious, Ella, and fulfilling that ambition to find it is not all it is cracked up to be and leads to your downfall is all that is!"

"AMBITION! Your vice is greed, the need to want more and more." Luke counters.

Then he kisses me...

I had done it now. The one thing I swore never to do again because it scared her off the first time.

Passion, fire, it all sparked within her before I kissed her. But could you blame me? I had always been attracted to her and we were in a heated debate.

However, this time, she does not turn away.

The last time I see Luke Lancaster, everything is decorated in white and blue.

The musky smell of books mingles with the perfume of snow-bells and orchids, while outside the light falling of pure white snow makes everything feel real.

I glide across the floor in a beautiful white gown.

There are people sitting in two groups and he wears a TARDIS blue tux, how he found one I will have no idea.

When I reached him at the altar, this time the book is read from is Neverwhere, which is about finding a home in the unlikeliest of places.

"I do," I hear her say minutes later.

I lean down to kiss her, and that is the last time I see Ella Parker.

Now, she is my wife.