Chapter 4- Family Decisions

Start from the beginning

"Hey Ezra," I said and Ezra turned around from where he was "What city is this?" I asked. He turned his head to the photo and his eyes widened. He got up quickly and took the card out of my hand so fast at first I didn't even know it was gone. He looked and checked the card if anything was wrong and sighed relief when it wasn't. He then placed it back on the table and I asked again "What city is that?"

"...Capital City," he said looking down. What? I looked back outside and saw Capital City. It was much smaller and even less bright and you couldn't even tell if there was an ocean behind it.

 It was much smaller and even less bright and you couldn't even tell if there was an ocean behind it

Hera looked over my shoulder to see the photo and then looked out at the city.

"What happened?" she asked in a concerned voice. Ezra looked at the ground, hesitating. After a while, he then spoke up.

"Lothal was once a beautiful planet. Ships always stopped here to either drop off people or food or pick something up. But then, one day after the Clone Wars we started to suffer what you would call an economic crisis. The governor of Lothal, Ryder Azadi, then allowed the Separatists to lend in their hand. They promised everyone on Lothal that they would give us peace and prosperity, but instead, they gave everyone years of oppression. Govenor Azadi was forced into retirement and in his place was Arhinda Pryce, though since she always leaves, her understudy, Minister Maketh Tua, is always left in charge of this place. They destroyed the old buildings and replaced them with theirs and added some more. They took over a lot of farmers lands either forcing them to sell them or taking it by force so they could build more mining areas and bases. Many of the farmers now either have to move into Tarkin Town or go off world to have a chance at survival," he said sadly. He then walked outside to the platform and leaned on the railing, just staring at the once beautiful city. Thoughts kept racing through my mind. The whole point of the Republic was to protect the galaxy. I looked at the picture again and kept thinking.

"We could've prevented this. We could've stopped the Separatists from taking control of this planet and helped it get back on its feet. Instead, we didn't and it suffered under their fist. Families are gone and the people of this planet are either thieves, homeless or just struggling to survive and are in constant fear of the Empire,". It constantly reminded me that we couldn't save them and that we sometimes failed our purpose. I then went out on the platform and stood next to Ezra and stared at the city as well.

"Ezra, I'm sorry we couldn't help you or your planet," I said sadly to him. He looked up at me with eyes filled with something I couldn't clarify. The I felt something around me, I looked down and saw Ezra, hugging me. I didn't know what I was supposed to do so I just hugged him back. Then I felt another pair of arms around and saw Hera hugging both of us.

Ezra P.O.V

I hugged Kanan. Why? I didn't know I just did. He went on about how he was sorry about not being to help my planet but how was he supposed to know about it? It wasn't his fault, it was the Separatists. Then Hera came up and hugged us. It felt so weird, having people who really cared for you. I soon saw the sun and learned that they only half an hour left. It made me sad that the only people I actually felt I could trust with my life was going to have to leave soon, but they have a lot of other planets to help before they fall to the Empire. We then stopped hugging and they finished packing up. We all climbed down the ladder and stood in front of my tower. It felt just yesterday they came here. Wait, it was just yesterday they came here, but it felt longer.