Chapter 10: News

TRIS

I wake up to hear the sounds of violent throwing up. I hear the tap turn on and off. Tobias walks out, his hair all messed up and a tense look on his face.

"Good morning Mr. Sunshine!" I say sarcastically.

"Shhhhhh!" He shushes, raising his finger to his lips.

"Sorry. What's wrong?" I ask.

"Worst. Hangover. Ever. My. Head. Is. A. Grenade. Which. Is. Exploding," he says, slowly.

"Oh, you poor baby!" I say sarcastically, but slightly sympathetically.

He glares at me and then comes back to bed. He rests his head on the pillow and I put my head on is chest, feeling his chest rise up and down with every breath.

I get up, go to the bathroom and get an aspirin from the medicine cupboard. I fill up a glass of water and hand them both to him.

He takes the pill, gulps down the water and sighs.

"My girlfriend is a lifesaver," he says.

I waggle my finger. "No, your girlfriend isn't a lifesaver. Your fiancée is."

"Yes, of course. We're engaged," a grin spreads on his face.

I nod, bend down and kiss him. I then walk to the bathroom to get ready. I take off my clothes and step into the hot water pouring down from the shower. It's so soothing and it wakes me up. I rub the soap all over me and I run my hand over the scar of the bullet. I imagine what would have happened if Tobias hadn't saved me. Would he ever forgive himself? I shiver at the thought as the soap washes off me.

I step out of the shower, towel myself off and put on my clothes. As it's summer and it's really hot, I wear a loose black off the shoulder crop top and short black jean shorts. I tie my hair up in a messy bun and put some eye liner and mascara on. I walk out of the bathroom.

"You feeling better?" I ask.

"Yeah, slightly," Tobias says, getting up. He gets some clothes and goes into the bathroom. I lace up my high top Converse while I'm waiting. He comes out a couple minutes later with a black T-shirt and jeans on and his hair still wet. He slips on his shoes and we walk out hand in hand to the cafeteria.

The cafeteria is alive with people chattering, plates clattering. We see our friends sitting at our regular table. They smile at us and motion for us to come join them. We smile back and walk towards the table. I slide in an empty space next to Christina and Tobias sits down next to Zeke, opposite me. Next to Christina is Marlene, then Uriah, and next to Zeke is Shauna and Izzy. Marlene seems both nervous and really excited. She keeps muttering things to Uriah, and he keeps shaking his head.

"So, have you set a date for the wedding yet?" Christina asks.

"Not yet, it's too soon to start planning," Tobias says.

"Actually," I say. Tobias stares at me, wondering what I'm going to say. "I don't want to get married now."

"What?! You don't want to get married, Tris? Why did you say yes to my proposal then? Are we breaking up?" Tobias says hurt.

"No, Tobias, calm down. I said I don't want to get married now. I'm only 16! Can we get married when I'm 20? I'm turning 17 in a week now anyway," I say.

Tobias sighs from relief. "Okay, Tris. I don't want to have to wait 4 years to make you my wife, but okay. If that's what you want. But as soon as you turn 20, you're signing that piece of paper and becoming my wife, whether you like it or not!" He say.