Chapter 29: New Beginnings

Comenzar desde el principio

"So, where are we going then? Mom told me she'd come and hunt me down if I'm late." I laugh again at that. I'm so glad to have my mom back, too. "And also, why are we not in your truck?"

Will reached over and laced his hand with mine. "For once in your life, be patient."

I make a face at his smiling one and turn to the window but really, all my attention is on our hands.

It isn't long before we drive into town and I see all the cars heading towards the high school football field where our graduation is held. That is, when it doesn't rain.

But Will continues to drive until we end up at the other end of town. He pulls into an old parking lot that used to belong to a family hardware store that sold out and moved to the east coast. Parties are held here often.

In the far end of the corner I spot Will's truck, but attacked to it is a short camper that looks like it may have been through some rough things.

"Will," I say. "What is this?"

He parks the car and tells me to stay put. I watch him jog to my side of the car and open my door like a gentleman, even bowing to me in a joking manner. He shuts the door and sticks his elbow out toward me.

"Miss, may I escort you?" He asks with a huge smile. I put my arms through his and let him lead me towards the camper. "You're chariot awaits."

I snap my head to him. "Will, what are you talking about?"

He doesn't say a word - which makes me want to strangle him - as he digs a few keys out of his pocket and unlocks the door of the camper.

"You said that you wanted to travel, didn't you?" He asks me as we step up into the small camper. We enter at the middle where there is a couch, a dining table with two benches on each side, and a kitchen across from that.

To my right is a door that he opens and reveals two twin size beds. On the other end is a bathroom with a shower and toilet.

It feels cozy being in this tiny home.

"I thought this would be perfect for that. You wouldn't have to rent out any hotel room or whatever. Just find a generator and and some kind of water supply every now and then and you'll be set."

As he tells me this, I can't help but feel sad. I'm getting what I wanted - to be free and able to do what I really wanted to do without anyone telling me that I can't.

But why am I still not happy?

"It's all yours, Jessa," Will says from behind me. I feel tears welling up in my eyes so I don't turn to him.

But suddenly, I know what's missing. For the first time in my whole life, I know exactly what I want. I caused so much trouble to get to where I am, but now I'm taking it all back.

"I..." I suck in a deep breath and turn to him quickly in hopes he doesn't see me crying. I clutch his shirt in my hands and pull him down to me so I can kiss his lips.

I pull away and lean my forehead to his, not letting go of his shirt. "I love you, and that's why I can't accept this."

He grabs both my shoulders and pushes me away so he can see me.

"Why? It's your dream, Jess. Why can't you?" He grabs my hand and drags me down into the couch with him.

"I thought it was. And, honestly, I want to do it. I think it'd be amazing..."

"Then what are you talking about?" He asks calmly as he brushes my curled hair out of my face.

"It wouldn't be amazing without you," I tell him. "And my mom and dad... Social media can only go so far. And Hannah and Tori and even Sydney. I'd miss them. I'd miss you. They'd be so if happy I went to college after all."