22| Don't Overact

Recap: Val told Arsen's gang, the Ruthless Rebels, that she knows they killed Lionell. A pissed off Leo gave her 3 days to live. Ben joined Arsen's gang because he wasn't hot and tough (he thought that was the reason why Danie rejected him). Arsen told Val the only way out of the death wish and to get Ben back was to pretend to be his girlfriend and join the gang.

"The original bad boy . . . doesn't easily commit to girls."

22 - Don't Overact

The carbon dioxide escaping my lips form clouds in reaction to the cold. I stand, my hands shoved inside my black jacket, waiting for Arsen. For the last two days, I managed to avoid the rest of his gang members, however, I know I can't run away for long. As Leo's generous seventy two hour deadline edges closer, my anxiety worsens.

Worst of all, my friends and I lose Ben to the wrong crowd every second.

I stagger around slightly to allow my legs some movement. Just in time, I feel an arm slide around my waist. On instinct or from self defense training, I elbow the person, forcing him back.

"Geez Cruz, chill." Arsen stares at me with his typical annoyed expression.

"Don't creep up on my like that. You don't know how jumpy I've been since . . . " I trail off, allowing him to infer my changed attitude since Leo's threat.

"Well, you pushed it upon yourself." He shrugs. Rather than touching me again, he walks past me. I quickly fall in step with his stride to see where we are going. "So, what's your decision? You want to follow through my plan or run and hide like you've been doing the last few days?"

We take a turn down a narrow alley, surrounded by mucky building walls.

"I don't know what's worse: pretending to be your girl toy or hiding," I mutter.

"Being my girl toy comes with a lot of benefits," he assures, though refuses to meet my eyes. The cold that had been unnerving me disappears and I feel my face heat up like an oven. His words worry me about the future. As we take another turn around the alley, I stop. He proceeds, but upon seeing no movement behind him, he pauses as well. "What?"

"Before we reach whatever hell you're taking me to, can we set some ground rules?" I say.

"Ground rules for what?"

"For our relationship."

"No sex. Got it. Anything else?" he says nonchalantly but in a hurried manner.

I exhale loudly. "No kissing."

He laughs. "After all the girls I've kissed who weren't even my girlfriends, you think the guys will believe us--our so called relationship--if I don't kiss you? That's the number one way of convincing them I'm trying to protect you from them." When my mouth doesn't move to respond, he adds, "What do you want me to do?"

"No making out," I say quickly, not wanting to dwell on this topic too long. "No drugs. No dragging Isa or Danie or my parents in the stupid gang. No letting me be alone with any of the guys at any time except for Ben. I won't act like some wild rebel. Once I get Ben out of this hell . . . "

"Then, you can continue living your happy and dandy life and pretend my friends and I don't exist," Arsen finishes.

His tone's more snarky than anything.

Maybe it's because of the truth behind it.

"Glad we have an understanding," I mumble.

He looks at anything but me as we proceed through the stinky and dirty alleys until we reach an abandoned house. A strong smell I associate with weed fill the area and I scrunch my nose in disgust. Arsen's friends sit on the front steps of the run down place playing with fire and cannibis. As I step back to run away, Arsen captures my hand in his. With a determined and confident glance, he gestures me to follow.