Chapter 36. Resurface

Start from the beginning

A surge of annoyance flitted in me as I pried her hand away. She knew nothing. Could do nothing. She wasn't even there when I was locked up in a tank and—

I composed myself and sighed. Ester's eyes flashed when I patted her shoulder. "That's the problem with you, Es. You think too much."

"Since when is that a negative?"

Since you're butting in my business.

I shrugged. "Let it be this time, huh? Like we've discussed, we all have ambitions we'd love to pursue. Sometimes we have to change in order to get that."

"And Genesis?" The name made me freeze. Beside me, it was Ester's turn to retain a poker face. To act like it wasn't her move to back me in a corner and see how I'd respond.

"What about her?" I said.

"What happened to you two?"

I remained impassive as I ducked out of the door, into the sunlight. Morning had come. It was time for a change. "Nothing," I said. "We're strangers with a past. That's all there is to it."

The name kept repeating in my head even after I've left the twin's garage and headed to the meeting point. Genesis. Genesis Morgan. I hadn't thought of her name, much less imagined how she'd grown over the years. That was the lie I told myself.

"Why the sour face, big shot?" I looked up to see Linda, Mr. Danes' twenty-something assistant, holding a coffee cup and staring at me. Behind her were five RV's parked across the street. One of them would be mine.

"Nothing. Where's Mr. Danes?" I asked.

"He'll arrive after an hour. Told me to scout the place beforehand." She took a sip of her coffee before addressing me again. "You alright? You look like you've seen a ghost."

I straightened my back and nodded. "I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe after you've gotten back home, you're suddenly having second thoughts." Her head tilted to the side. "Everyone is well-aware by now that you were best friends with Genesis' Morgan. You could have told us sooner too. The news crew in the next street is hungry for some drama, you know?"

"Are they?" Linda's bright red lips parted when I headed to her. But I didn't stop. Not until our faces were inches apart. "Tell me, Linda. Why am I Mr. Danes' most favorite apprentice again?"

Her eyes darted to the side. "He said he liked your attitude," she mumbled.

"And what attitude is that?"

"That you. . ." Her gaze flickered back to me. "You didn't care who you're up against. As long as they're in your way, you destroy them."

"Precisely."

I sneered when Linda stepped backward and splashed coffee all over herself. "Damn it!" She glowered at her stained skirt, then fished out a key from her blazer and handed it to me. "Last RV is yours. Go and stop creeping me out, Jones."

My mood was remarkably better when I climbed the RV. Everyone knew I came from Bear Creek, Mr. Danes especially. But he was still kind enough to provide me accommodations.

Mr. Danes was that type of man; strict but principled, came from a modest background and worked his way up, and what I liked most was his willingness to put me under his wing after I'd showed him how ready I was to be trained. He was the kind of man that should be Governor, not Lyndon Morgan.

A breakfast, a quick shower, and a change of clothes later, I was making my way down from the RV, a tingly feeling on the tips of my fingers. It was remarkable what a few hours could do. Already, more than fifty supporters and staff were camped outside, having conversation. I spotted Mr. Danes among the throng and wore my sunglasses before going to them.

The 6'2" man noticed me approaching and raised his hand. It was not the intimidation factor that made his companions stop. At 45 years old, well-built, a pleasant smile on his clean-shaven face, Mr. Danes commanded not fear but respect.

"Destiny, we were just talking about you." He let me shake the hands of the people I'd never seen in my life. But then that was how it was when you're doing something remarkable. People you didn't know would be coming at you from all angles, whether out of love or hate.

"I'm sorry if Mr. Danes is boring you of stories about me." I gave everyone apologetic smiles. "He doesn't have a child, so he likes to bully younger subordinates."

Mr. Danes grinned. "On the contrary, Destiny, I was telling them how you bullied me." His laugh was deep and genuine. "Four years ago, this woman went to my firm without any resume, looked me in the eye, and said, give me a job, Mr. Danes. I'll scrub your toilet if I have to." He shook his head fondly. "Four years later and she finally convinced me to run for Governor. Now tell me. Who bullied who?"

The conversation was long over by the time lunch was served. And by afternoon, everyone was getting edgy. It was not a coincidence that brought me back here at this time of the year, on this particular day. A debate between candidates was scheduled weeks before. The venue? Bear Creek town hall.

Mr. Danes' was gracious enough to say yes to the challenge even when it was the hometown of his competition. Call it naïve. I called it strategy.

"You haven't been home in how long again?" Mr. Danes glanced at me. Another one of his gracious gifts was allowing me to ride with him in the Mercedes-Benz, while Linda, his assistant, was beside the driver listening to us.

"More than six years," I answered, eyes kept firmly inside the car. We've just passed the street going to my house. Somewhere in there, working on his wood, was dad. I forced myself to look at Mr. Danes. "It doesn't really matter. Nothing has changed."

He nodded and took a sip from his water bottle. No whiskey for him today. He knew what the stakes were. "I trust your decisions, Destiny. Don't screw this up for a change of heart."

"Trust me, sir. I won't."

Reporters, onlookers, and supporters from the opposition, were standing on the driveway of the townhall. Security team had been posted beforehand, but our car was still mobbed when we arrived.

We were ready for this. Linda and I got out first, covered Mr. Danes, and allowed the security to guide us inside the hall. Every now and then, our candidate would stop and shake someone's hand, so by the time we got in, I was soaked with sweat.

"Whew!" Linda fanned herself. The woman didn't look as foxy as she wanted now. Her lustrous curls were all over her face. "Have you ever thought about that when you run someday, Destiny?"

"What do you mean?"

She gave me a look. "We both know what career path you're heading for, sugar. Someday, it might be Lyndon's daughter against you." I scowled at her. "Hey, don't look at me like that," she said. "Just saying."

Mr. Danes was still busy talking to the head of security, so I mumbled an excuse to go the restroom to compose myself. Damn Linda and her assumptions. The woman wouldn't give me a break.

I continued down the corridor. And only then did it strike me that I've never been inside, even after all those years that I've lived in Bear Creek.

I turned around the corner, glanced at a slightly opened door to my right, and narrowed my eyes as I stopped. It felt like someone had whispered my name though I hadn't heard anyone.

"Hello?"

The door swung open. And to my complete surprise, someone grasped my hand and pulled me in.

A/N: Head's up. Four chapters left.