Chapter 11. Boomerang

Chapter11. Boomerang

Let me list down the things I loved about school. Absolutely nothing. Waking up early was supposed to be fun, but not anymore. The unjustified amount of homework was inhumane. And how could I forget about cliché's? They ran down the walls of the halls like blood from a serial killer movie.

That's what I thought yesterday. Today was a different story. I couldn't wait to get out of bed and go there.

Dad was still preparing in his room when I crept to the stairs. He was singing a song from The Carpenters, his all-time favorite. I whistled along as I went to the kitchen and grabbed an apple from the basket. He'd see the missing fruit and know that I was gone.

School was open early. The guard looked up from his post when I passed, took a sip of his coffee, and went back to reading his newspaper. Maybe he was used to seeing students at this time of the day.

I was feeling pretty positive about myself until I reached the lockers. There was a hiccup on my heartbeat as I saw who was waiting for me. I tried to play it cool for the sake of playing cool. I thought coming here early could make me avoid running into her. Until the inevitable that is.

"Morning," I said.

She didn't move to give way. Her hands were still folded against her chest, her fake-colored eyes assessing me. "Do you know what you've done?" she started.

Her mouth opened a fraction when I took her by the shoulders and swept her to the side. She was standing in front of my locker.

"Have you eaten breakfast yet?" I downplayed, as I rotated the lock. "There's an apple in my bag."

"Didn't you hear a word I said?" she snapped.

When I didn't answer, Genesis turned me around and pushed me to the door. She wasn't rough, but she wasn't exactly gentle either. She realized what she'd done and immediately let go. "The committee messaged me last night." Her lips curved down as she turned away. "They said I listed my name."

My hands fell limp, both of shock and guilt. "I did that," I confessed.

"I know. It doesn't take a genius to figure out."

"You don't have to attend," I reasoned. "You can say it's a mistake. I just wanted us to talk."

Her eyes were burning coals of fire as they focused on me. They were nothing like what I used to love. They were cold, foreign, and unreachable. "We have nothing to talk about, Destiny. I thought I'd made it clear the other day?"

She didn't give me a chance to defend my position. She simply left me with a stab wound, forced to listen to the echo of her footsteps as she walked away.

Who was this new person I was dealing with? Why was she so cruel?

Due to the unfortunate events of the morning, I didn't feel like joining any activity during the day. Spencer began to look worried when I didn't return his notes in class. He kept slipping me messages when the teacher was busy that my desk piled with ripped papers, crumpled scratches, and three rolls of bread. He'd given me his whole stash.

At lunchtime, I slipped to the bathroom before Spencer could catch up to me, and stayed there until the bell rang. The rest of the classes flew by like a tornado. I didn't care what they were for. I didn't look up once. If my life was a game, it was probably a Ouija board. I was basically dead to my best friend, what was happening to me were just cryptic messages of bullshit, and if a ghost was to send me a message, it would probably spell L.O.S.E.R on the board.

I wasn't off the hook when the last bell sounded. There was a message waiting on my cellphone, telling me to go to the third floor, west hall, room 3-C.