Chapter 36. Resurface

Beginne am Anfang

"So did we." Ester's hands shook as she wiped her eyes. I turned away so I wouldn't see the rest. "I'm not saying those dreams were put to a stop," she continued. "But you made it harder for us, Des. Have you even considered your father?"

Everyday. Every night. Every waking moment. But I wasn't going to tell her that.

"No," I lied. "I was selfish. I wanted to escape."

"From what?!" Spencer leaned forward. Hands clasped so tight it was white, it was all he could do not to cry like his sister. "What were you running from?!" he said. "We could have helped you! We can still help you!"

I almost snorted at that. Last thing I read on the papers, he was doing a good job of making a name for himself, the blossoming football star that he was. And Ester? My dearest, most intelligent friend, was slowly being accepted to the scientific scene. They were great. They worked hard for it. But they couldn't help me, not in a million years.

We were talking about Lyndon Morgan here; the tycoon, the bear, the rich bastard who ruined my life. Did my friends think I left them for nothing? I was protecting them so they could be a football star, a scientist, whatever they wanted without going to jail. Superheroes didn't always wear capes. Sometimes they were nerdy girls who had to grow up, so people she loved could live their lives.

"I don't need your help." My lie was so smooth, I almost believed it. "I can take care of myself. How do you think I've made it this far?"

"By far, you mean become the lead representative for Mr. Danes?"

Ester crossed her arms again when I shrugged at her. "Mr. Danes is a good man, a decent man," I said. "I'm proud to lead his banner for the upcoming election."

"You've hit your head, Des. I know you did," Spencer said. "Do you realize who Mr. Danes will be up against as Governor? Mr. Morgan is running for his second term in office. He will crush you."

Not if I could help it.

I bent over to the candle and looked at my two best friends. Despite what they thought of me, I would always think of them as that. Now they needed to trust me.

The room was blanketed in semi-darkness when the candle's flame was blown away. "I know who I'm up against." My voice was loud and clear. "And frankly, I don't care."

The twins shared the same troubled expressions when the three of us stood from the chairs. Ester, especially, had pursed her mouth too many times than I've ever seen her do before. But it was Spencer who'd given me a bear hug the moment his sister turned her back to us. He wasn't thinking. He just pounced.

"Desti— Woah!"

Spencer remained on the floor while I straightened. From the slightly opened garage door, Ester swiveled around and was shocked to see that her brother was now sprawled on the ground, hands over his head. "What in the world?!"

I ignored her outburst and stepped on Spencer's chest. He groaned and stared at me like I was insane. "Where'd you learn how to do that, Des?!"

"Throw you from me?" I released the pressure over him and stepped away. Without telling him anything, he'd know not to touch me again. "I've been in some pretty rough neighborhoods," I said. "Had to learn how to defend myself."

"I bet." He gave me a wary look after he'd gotten to his feet. Ester, meanwhile, clamped her mouth shut and went on to raising the garage door.

It was when I was heading out that she pulled me aside. "I don't like this," she whispered, eyes skimming mine. Her fingers tightened on my arm. "First you disappear, now you resurface looking and acting different." She shook her head. "I know what this is about. This is a call for help."