1.1 The Driver

Maine Mendoza's eyebrows curled as she continued to lose her patience while she waited for her brother to pick her up from the conference she had just attended to. It has been over an hour and she hasn't heard from him since then. He hasn't been replying to her text messages and her calls weren't going through.

As she paced back and forth in the hotel lobby, her long bown hair flowing gracefully as she moved, a text message suddenly appeared on her screen.

"Sis. Stranded ako. Baha dito sa Makati. I booked you an Uber. It will arrive in about 5 minutes. I told him who you were and gave him your number. Wag mo na ako alalahanin dito sa Makati. Just go straight to your condo dahil super lakas ng ulan. Love you sis. Ingat. Text me when you get home."

Maine thought her brother was bluffing but when she looked outside the hotel windows, it was indeed raining but not as hard as he made it seem, although, he's in Makati and she's in Sofitel in Manila so she really can't compare the rainfall.

A few minutes later, she received another text.

"Good evening po, Ms. Mendoza, your Uber driver has arrived. Your brother gave me your number. The car is a Black Hyundai Santa Fe with the plate number RFJ 02. I'm here outside the hotel lobby."

Maine immediately replied, "I'm on my way." just so that the Uber driver doesn't leave. She grabbed her stuff then rushed outside and there she saw the car that was waiting for her. "Wow. Shalan si Kuya. Naka-Uber Black. Sana naman binayaran na niya to." She thought.

A strapping young man, about her age, wearing a form fitting white v-neck shirt under a black blazer, black skinny jeans and expensive looking suede shoes, went out to fetch her.

"Good evening, Ms. Mendoza. Ako si RJ Faulkerson, Uber driver na kinuha ng kuya ninyo. Let me get that for you." He said as he grabbed the suitcase she held and placed it at the back, then he went back for her and ushered her to the back seat.

"Aba. Gentleman." She thought. "Although, that is debatable dahil mahal ang Uber Black."

When he was about to close the door to her side, their eyes met, and just like in the movies, everything moved in slow motion as a current passed between them.

"Thank you." She said as he closed the door.

When he got in front, Maine couldn't help but stare at her Uber driver. "Gwapo. Maganda katawan. Gentleman. Ang ganda ng smile. May dimples pa." She thought. She smiled a little because she couldn't believe she was fawning over an Uber driver.

"Ms. Mendoza…" He started saying but Maine cut him off.

"Maine na lang. Masyado namang pormal yung Ms. Mendoza. Kakahiya." She said. 

"Ah okay. Maine, kung may alam ka na mas mabilis na daan, just tell me para mas mababa ang fare para di tayo matraffic." He smiled at her from the rear view mirror. Maine felt her heart beat faster and her stomach clench.

"Ikaw na bahala. Hindi ba binayaran ni kuya ng credit card niya?" Maine asked when she realized that he wanted to decrease her fare.

"Ay opo. He used his credit card pero siyempre, priority namin ang riders. Kaya po tinanong ko na rin." He said. His deep baritone voice sent tingles down her spine and through other various parts of her body.

She felt herself getting turned on, the more she looked at him, and, the more he spoke and smiled. "Ang hot niya. Lord, sign na ba ito?"

"Ms. Maine, seatbelt na lang po." RJ said. Maine was surprised. Not a lot of drivers require their passenger to fasten their seatbelts when sitting at the back seat.