56. Dead Yet Alive

Start from the beginning

"Jai? What happened? Why are you all crying?", Aarav asked as he dropped his office bag on the floor and sat on the couch besides Jai.

Manish walked towards Shweta and sat besides her on the floor.

"Shweta, what happened? You're tears are killing me, honey. Please tell me what happened", Manish asked as he wiped Shweta's tears.

Shweta hugged him and sobbed harder in his arms whilst he rubbed her back trying to soothe her.

"She.. she left us Mani...", Shweta said crying and Aarav stilled for a moment.

His heart started beating loudly in his chest as he stared at his mother's state.

"Who left us? Shweta please be clear baby... who..."

"Shreya... Shreya left us....", Shweta said sobbing.

Manish stilled as he took in the information and his eyes trained on Aarav.

In life there's nothing more devastating than losing the person who you love with the entire being of your existence, with whom you have dreamt to live your life until your last breath, until your hair turn grey, with whom you want to spend each minute, each hour of your life, with whom you're entire existence makes sense and without that one person you feel lost and every minute feels like a struggle to live.

Aarav felt the same in that moment. He couldn't believe his fate could be so cruel. All he wanted was to have Shreya in his life. She was the first girl who made him feel everything he had never felt before. She had made his life beautiful and made him the luckiest man on the earth. The woman with whom he had dreamt to live the rest of his life had left him. She had gone and she was never coming back. He had not only lost the love of his life but even the sign of their love, their twins.

It felt like someone had splurged ice cold water on him. Shweta looked up from Manish's arms and her heart broke as she saw her son sitting numb on the couch. Neela immediately sat besides Aarav and shook him.

"Aarav! Please speak... don't go numb please", Neela said shaking him but Aarav sat still on the couch.

Shweta got up and kneeled in front of him.

"Aarav! Look at me!", she ordered.

Aarav looked at his mother.

"SHE IS GONE! SHE IS DEAD! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!? SHE ISN'T COMING BACK AND YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO CRY! SHOW YOUR EMOTIONS, AARAV! But please don't go numb", Shweta said sobbing.

"Mom, she isn't dead! She... she can't leave me. She promised to stay with me. She will complete her promise mom! She... she isn't dead. She will come back. She is just hiding mom. Its just a prank she is playing. She.. she..."

Shweta slapped him hard on his face.

"SHREYA IS DEAD, AARAV! NEITHER SHE NOR YOUR TWINS ARE COMING BACK!", Shweta yelled shaking both his shoulders.

Finally realisation hit him hard. His Shreya wasn't coming back nor were his twins. Slowly tears escaped his eyes and soon he was crying, sobbing, screaming in agony.

Everyone's heart broke to see Aarav in such a condition but the worst was still to come. The rest of the family was still not aware of Shreya's demise.

Manish swallowed the lump which had formed in his throat. He wasn't Shreya's biological father but she was his daughter in every sense. Fathers never express their feelings no matter how much broken they are they have to stand strong for their family and that's what Manish had to do today. He had to stay strong for his best friend who wasn't aware about his daughter's demise, for his wife, for his son and his entire family.