Chapter Nine

Nine

Silver light from the full moon glinted off the snow covered countryside, reflecting more light than most nights to aide Gwen's hasty departure. She clutched a small pistol in her lap, more than a little tense as the carriage jostled along the wintry road. She thought it unlikely the highwaymen would attack again so soon, especially with Lord Valentine's public vow to bring them to justice, but she had every intention of being prepared on the trip back to London.

The small window at the front of the coach behind the driver's seat flipped open. "Brace yourself, milady, there are riders approaching us from behind."

Terror gripped Gwen's chest. Not again, and this time she didn't have Valentine at her side. She lifted the pistol and turned on the bench to peer out the back window. Tonight she'd have to defend herself. She gulped and began to shake as the moonlight illuminated not two, but three, horseman bearing down on her carriage.

One of the riders Raised an arm. "Stop!" The call was barely audible over the rumble of the wooden wheels.

Gwen whipped away from the window, cringing into the seat as the riders rapidly closed the distance. To her horror the carriage slowed. "No, no, no," she muttered under her breath. "Not again." The carriage rattled to a stop and the thunder of horses' hooves echoed in the night.

Voices sounded outside the carriage, but her heart hammered so loudly in her ears she couldn't make out the threats. The door handle shook and she aimed the pistol at the door. Seconds latter it flew open revealing the shadowed figure of a man. "Damn it, Gwen, where the hell do you think you're going?"

Her heart skipped a beat. "Anthony? What are you doing here?" She discarded the pistol on the velvet seat and slid toward the door. She stood and shoved him square in the chest. "I thought the highwaymen were attacking again." He stumbled back a couple of steps as she stepped down from the carriage.

"I came after you," he replied in exasperation. "I couldn't believe it when I realized you'd left tonight. You even lied to the staff and told them I knew you were leaving."

Gwen stopped in her tracks. "Y-you came after me?"

"Of course I came after you. You're my wife."

Gwen's head swam with this rapid change of events. "But I-I thought—"

"What did you think?" he demanded, clearly angry by her hasty departure. "Please explain to me why we are all out in the middle of the woods in the dead of winter. It's colder than the Devil's tit out here."

Momentarily stunned by his anger and uncharacteristic vulgarity, Gwen was at a loss for words or excuses. "I'm letting you go," she finally blurted.

"Letting me go?"

"Yes. Releasing you of your obligation to me. Tonight you admitted that I'm not where your heart lies."