Chapter Nine

18:12:12 Light

Maxwell held his head in his hands. What a disaster. The House he was meant to trust the most, he trusted the least. The other of the three most powerful Houses had just belittled him publicly and quite frankly, he didn't think Lord Auber would stop at insults. "My King," Maxwell looked up to see one of the council, Lewis, walking towards him with a roll of paper. "My King, a message from your spy in Castle Deerfax," he announced, passing the letter to Maxwell.

"House Vaughan? I was expecting there to be more activity worth noting from House Auber," he murmured, unrolling the letter.

Maxwell's face must have registered his confusion, because Lewis raised an eyebrow. "Something wrong Your Majesty?" he asked.

Maxwell swallowed the lump in his throat. "Yes, as a matter of fact there is," he replied in a shaky voice. He clenched his fists. "It seems Lord Auber is going round, getting allies. The spy overheard parts of the conversation between Lord Auber and Lord Vaughan. Apparently he sent Blake north to Fort Bayline to ask House Maynet for their support. He also heard that Lord Auber was leaving with Lord Vaughan's second son, to attack one of the High Houses, but he didn't hear which one." Maxwell sighed. "If Lord Auber wanted to attack House Ravenot, he would have gone north to Fort Bayline instead of south. He's either going to attack us or the Cardons." 

"It'll very probably be us, Your Majesty," Lewis replied. 

Maxwell nodded. "I know.

"Either way, we need allies too. Our best bet would be House Ravenot, especially since they have the largest army. Maybe House Cardon, considering the way Lord Auber threw them under the wagon at the House Meeting, they probably won't side with him and his House now," Maxwell thought out loud. Lewis nodded. "And may I suggest trying to get House Thaon on our side too, Your Majesty?" he asked. "They're the Low House, but their army could make a difference if this ends up being a war, which it looks like it will be," he added. Maxwell nodded. He hadn't even thought about the Low House of Thaon, but that wasn't a half bad idea. "Yes, but the only way to get to Garwater is through either Cardon territory of Vaughan territory, which means we definitely need House Cardon." Maxwell slammed his fist down on the arm of his chair. "And I don't even trust them!" 

Lewis waited until Maxwell had stopped seething before he spoke. "One House at a time, Your Majesty," he said. "Would you like to send a raven to Northdale Castle, or go yourself?" Maxwell shook his head and stood up. "I'll go myself."

Maxwell left all of his men, but fifty to guard Cassbury Castle, and headed north immediately. It would take two weeks to get there, and then another two to get from Northdale Castle to Oxfort. If he wanted to get as many allies as possible he had to get them quickly. 

"Stop!" Maxwell stopped. "What business do you have?" cried the same gruff voice from the battlements. "I sent word two weeks ago that I would be coming!" Maxwell shouted back up to the soldier. "So? You didn't state why."

"I've come to ask for Lord Ravenot's support," Maxwell replied, getting annoyed.

"Support for what?"

"Bloody hell, just let me in!"

"You have to leave your men out here."

"Yes, fine, whatever!" The portcullis began to rise and Maxwell nodded at his men to stay as he walked under it and into the castle grounds. The portcullis immediately dropped behind him, and he suddenly had a feeling of regret. He wouldn't die from a well planned ambush; no he would be killed by walking straight into an enemy castle with his men stuck just outside. Good work King Idiot.

Lord Ravenot must have been told as soon as Maxwell was spotted because he was waiting. "Your Majesty," he greeted with a bow. "And why do we have the pleasure of seeing you so far north?"

"I've come seeking aid," Maxwell replied bluntly.

"For what may I ask?"

"House Auber is gathering allies to overthrow me," he explained. Lord Ravenot took a moment to think the statement over. "That's quite an accusation, Your Majesty," he replied after a while. Maxwell shook his head. "But it's true," he looked Lord Ravenot in the eye. "Will you join me?" Lord Ravenot nodded. "I will, for you are my king and it is my duty." The pair shook hands. 

"But I must ask, who else do you have on your side, and who does Lord Auber have on his?" 

"I'm off to Oxfort as soon as I'm done here, then I'll try to get House Thaon with us too. Lord Auber definitely has House Vaughan with him, probably House Maynet," Maxwell replied. Lord Ravenot stayed silent. It was pretty obvious he'd just joined the losing side unless Maxwell could get House Cardon and House Thaon to support him too. "And are we done here?" Maxwell asked. Lord Ravenot nodded. "I believe we are, Your Majesty." He walked with Maxwell back to the lifted portcullis. "We will await further instructions from here, Your Majesty." Maxwell nodded a thanks and left. 

When he and his men were a good mile away from Northdale Castle, one of the soldiers rode up beside Maxwell. "Your Majesty, if Lord Auber did go north with his men to attack Cassbury Castle, he would be there about now." Maxwell looked at the young boy, maybe fifteen, with a tired face. He knew the boy was right. Everybody knew he was right. "Yes well, they can't have too large an army attacking Cassbury Castle because otherwise we'd have noticed it quite a bit before it even got to Castle Deerfax, never mind as it left there." He smiled, though it was forced. "Cassbury Castle will be fine. We have the whole Talvace army guarding it," he added. "Well, except us and we're just fifty men." He looked back to the trail they were riding down. "Now, to Oxfort, and quickly."

                                                                          *     *     *

The sky was the blackest it had been a long time. Colton stared up into its darkness from his bedroom window on the third storey of the keep. Perhaps the Old Gods had noted King Rylan's passing and were making it known there were dark times ahead. As if in reply to his thoughts, the first star of the night appeared, bright and orange, above the only road that led to Oxfort. Colton decided it looked like a miniature sun. Another appeared to the right, the same brilliant orange. Then another, and another, then six at once. Colton stared at them in disbelief. He looked to the first one and saw it was much bigger. They were all getting bigger. Colton didn't even have enough time to cry out a warning before the first flaming boulder hit the side of the keep.

A/N: I'm back :D and :OOOOOO Oxfort is being attacked D: D: D: Anyway hope you enjoyed this chapter :D