Home Field Advantage

Long Night of Solace - Commanders' Council Chamber

Rho 'Barutamee set his generals at ease as he mounted the tall center throne of his ship's military council chamber. Tak 'Pozralee and ten Sangheili holding the rank of general were present, as well as Vorn 'Vornakree and Tilts to One Side. The group was seated around an oblong, ovalular table with a hologram projector at its center and the Fleetmaster's throne at the head of one end, facing a massive, compound blast door. Addressing Pozralee, the Fleetmaster asked, "You were on the bridge when the void-space rupture engulfed our vessel, major. What can you tell us of what has transpired?"

Pozralee responded in a disciplined tone without hesitation, "Although there remain many mysteries regarding the exact nature of the incident, we've deciphered from our star charts that this section of the Long Night of Solace has traveled approximately 10.5 light-years from the human planet that we were assailing." At this point a hologram display of star chart appeared over the table, marking the location of Reach in the Epsilon Eridani system and Earth in the Sol system. The major continued, "Although the data isn't entirely conclusive, we believe the relic that was creating the portal that the barbarians came through was also involved in our appearance here."

One of the generals inquired, "Is it possible that these barbarians inhabit a region of the galaxy beyond that of the humans? And if that is the case, does this not confirm the humans' resources and worlds have nearly been exhausted?"

Pozralee replied, "That hypothesis is highly plausible. Our scans of the planet and its immediate vicinity have discovered no presence of orbital defenses or a defense fleet. A point of interest here is this planet, while appearing far more primitive than the others we've encountered, has many strange mysteries about it, and the more we learn, the more unanswered questions arise." Looking toward Vorn, Pozralee continued, "The Zealot can attest to some of these, I'm sure. At one moment it seems as though this planet has no resources at all and the humans have built everything from scraps, yet the next it seems that it is a world filled with experimental technology."

Barutamee then ordered, "Vornakree, tell us what you and the Huragok have learned of the Holy Relics from your encounter."

With deference, the Demonslayer laid the scepter onto the table and said, "This relic has much power, and it can begin to be accessed by touch alone. Both I and the Ranger commander who retrieved it and held it in our hands were instantly gifted the ability to understand any language, Human or Covenant. Any words we speak are also comprehensible to humans and the other Covenant species, simultaneously. In short, the relic seems to give any who hold it in reverence a gift of tongues."

All of the generals were astounded to hear this. They'd heard legends of Forerunner artifacts leading the Covenant toward a new discovery or weapon development, but it was nigh-unheard of for a holy artifact to directly interact with the minds of the wielders and immediately gift them with knowledge.

Revealing the shining cubic artifact in the containment device, the Zealot continued, "All that is known of this relic is that either the humans or the barbarians were able to set up a device that could generate a stable portal into the void-space, with the relic as the source of its power. When removed from containment it is also unstable and possibly capable of maiming the being who tries to handle it."

A moment of reverent silence followed. The Fleetmaster broke it with by speaking, "In absence of further questions you have our thanks, Zealot, and may go. Take the relics to the ship's sanctuary for the time being." Vorn bowed in deference before respectfully recovering the scepter and Tesseract and departing with Tilts in tow.

After the Zealot and Huragok departed, Rho asked, "General 'Moretumee, have your soldiers secured Ardent Prayer?"

Moretumee reported, "Yes, fleetmaster. Its essential systems should be operational within a few hours, and its weapons appear to be largely undamaged. We found several human starfighters of the same classification as that of the human survivor docked on its outer surface and a human dropship in its hangar; there were no survivors on board, human... or Covenant." His voice slowed down and saddened as he finished his statement.