You won't forget chapt 5

I walked deeper and deeper in the water, savoring each and every moment, it was like an old friend, welcoming me again. It was so cool and wet and wonderful. Never mind that I would be dripping wet . I could go back if I wanted to! The realization jolted me from my daydream . Wading deeper and deeper, I sensed something was wrong. Dreadfully wrong. My air sac could not deflate , thus I just kept floating on the surface like rotten seaweed. A hand grasped mine, I tried to pull away but it held on fast. It was a mermaid. I gaped, mermaids didn't come to the surface of the water often. Diving underwater , I heard her say" ..... your father, the king has ordered everyone to trawl the oceans for you , everyone cares about you princess! You have to come back." She took a sharp intake of breath "Of course , he is also searching for you earnestly." My mind was blank. " Who?" The mermaid looked at me impatiently. "Why , Kiernen of course."

I had always missed him, wishing I could take back my words yet never actually daring too. There was a splash and he was there , real and warm and mine. Pushing my head underwater , I smiled breathlessly at him. "I'm sorry " I say the words spilling out of me like a overfilled cup ." I meant to apologize years and years ago, I just had too much wretched pride! I... I... " my voice was breaking and years ago when we were still friends , I would have given him a ferocious hug. Now I was not quite so sure. To my surprised , he pulled me into a crushing hug , muttering words like safe and sorry and friend into my hair. His dark blonde hair was darker than I thought it would be and he was wearing blue tunic , a symbol of a lord. He looked so handsome as water dripped off his hair. My best friend since 11.

" I really am glad I am here tonight" I said softly. I reached in my pocket and drew out a spice cake and blueberry tart. "Human food is yummy " I said , offering the blackberry tart. Kiernan looked at me sideways. "I'd rather have the other cake.As your only best friend , I think you are obliged to give it to me." He joked. My fingers automatically curled around the spice cake as I giggled and said" I don't think I could agree to that", as I narrowed my brown eyes.The water was rejuvenating , by dipping my head underwater ,I had gotten back the use of my tongue. He let out a long puff of breath. " Since it is our reunion , I can overlook your inherent greediness."

" Greedy?" I shrieked as I lobbed a crumb of cake at him. I pretended to mull over and added " but I might be persuaded to share it, which of course is wonderfully generous of me." A playful yank of his hair when he rolled his eyes.When we were munching on cakes, engaging in idle conversation , side by side, I felt whole and complete. Looking at his puzzlement when he bit into the tart was hilarious. Being back near the sea , basking in the cool night air, I never wanted it to end. Ever.

" I'm sorry, the thing is , the reason why I blew up over that incident was because .. Well, you're dense!! You never realized I liked you and I got pretty frustrated." Kiernan admits, running his fingers through his hair. My breathe hitches and I grip his hand, whispering in his ear,"Me too, when I get out of this,I will find you and make you mine." I can see his outline in the dark as his cheeks flush.

We heard the tip tap tip tap of the impatient footman. Kiernan gave a parting wave and vanished,taking all the air and light with him.Leaving me feeling cold and wet and vulnerable. The few hours talking and laughing had made my lips numb. I glared at the footman who said in a elegant modulated voice. "We must get going now" Cursing, I tottered unsteadily to my feet.I had forgotten about the pain.