Well, I've come to you. Now you come to me.

She held her hands out in front of her, palms inwards.

He took three steps forwards, sniffed at her curiously, and in a sudden gesture of friendship – not quite of submission – lowered his head between her hands as if into the halter that she did not hold.

She rubbed the sides of his head, working her hands up behind his ears and onto his neck, stepping close enough to reach both arms around his neck. He rested his head over her shoulder, blowing sweet grass-scented breath warmly onto her neck, then curled his neck around her and lipped at the jacket, pulling her closer with his jaw.

They stood still for a few moments.

"Why do I get this feeling that you were waiting here for me?" she whispered. "Come on, then. We've got a long way to go together." She patted him, then turned back towards the village, keeping her hand resting on his withers. He trod as quietly beside her as the riding school's Riffie had always done back at home.

Piet was by the hearth when she walked into the village proper, looking as though he had been there for ages. The other men watched curiously as she led the grey over to her house and told him to wait there. One of them walked over towards him, but he laid his ears flat and threatened with one hind leg.

"Don't try to touch him," advised Farinka. "Do you have a brush I could clean him up with?"

A selection of brushes and combs was found for her, and a hoofpick.

She spent some time working on him, teasing the tangles out of his mane and tail, cleaning out his feet, brushing away the loose fuzz from his moulting summer coat; aware all the time of the watching gaze of the village people by the fire – and of Shiffih from inside the house. The Child was lying, silent and still, on the bed of rushes, her eyes never leaving the white packbeast.

He's beautiful, she said after while. Has he got a name?

– I've no doubt he has, replied Farinka, but I don't know how to ask him what it is.

Shiffih smiled, her eyes twinkling. – He's very dusty. Maybe we should call him Dusty.

Farinka found herself grinning. – Possibly a bit down-to-earth, she said.

Well, okay. How about Moondust? Shiffih suggested.

– Yes, that would suit him. I expect the people here have been calling him Whitey, or some other truly inspired name.

Shiffih grinned, and a low chuckle escaped her.

– Careful, little one. Stay very quiet. They have no idea that you're awake. Which also means that you'll have to act like a pack again when we go. Okay?

– Yes, I know. But it won't be for long.

Farinka left Moondust standing quietly outside her house while she collected together her things. Annse came over to her. Moondust rolled one eye in Annse's direction, but allowed her to enter the house.

"I've found a sheepskin and bellyband for the beast," said Annse quietly. "And some bands to tie ... her ... across him. I'm glad you're taking her – it would only have caused trouble for her to stay here – whether she lived or not."

"Thank you," said Farinka, glancing over to where Shiffih lay, eyes closed now, on the rushes. "And thank you also for your hospitality. I wish you Luck."

Annse's face creased into a smile.

"Seeker, our thanks for your Luck. I will tell the others." She went back out, circling warily around Moondust.