☾ Show You

Sodapop's POV
The day was over, hoorah! The sun wasn't on its way yet, but it was surely a day meant for a good sunset. Today was nothing. Probably little to nothing. Unless you considered it my birthday, then I guess it was something after all, but it wasn't likely to be anything big! I only cared for the day when I could be around the gang.

"Hey, Soda." called a dreamy voice from the distance. Steve was waving through the window of inside the DX, and I followed inside without any hesitation.

"Hey." I said, watching him set down the rag he held from cleaning the window. "You took at least a few hours cleanin' that window and tryna find the right time to wave at me, I can tell. Long day, huh?"

Steve turned, whistling. "Oh, you think that's what I was doing? Well, this uh--this window here needed a lot of cleanin', Soda. Don't doubt me for a second."

"I can't believe that." a small smile grew on my face. "Especially with that clean rag."

Steve hummed, stepping closer to me. "I hope you can believe that I am ready to take you home and see you blow out those candles." he smiled softly. "I hope you can believe that I want nothin' but happiness for you. Not just on your day, but for as long as... ever."

A laugh swelled in my chest and left a good, warm feeling. "That's..." I began, then stole the rag from his side and began to wipe the fake residue off his nose. "What is this? Car oil?"

"It's my love for you." Steve said, which made my heart race a little faster than was necessary.

"So thoughtful." I murmured, feeling his hand touch my arm. "You're really somethin' else, hm?" Our eyes slowly met, but weren't locking. It was like we explored the very little space between us without any second thoughts. His eyes were a shining grey, but when they looked at me, all I could feel was home.

"I save it for you." Steve spoke delicately. His hand fell to mine as he grazed over my fingers and locked them with his. "You wanna get outta here?"

"You know I do." A part of me wanted to laugh at his dorky gestures, but I was completely fond of this side of him that was sweet, humble and dead handsome.

We clocked out of the station, giggling to ourselves without paying mind to any of the guests. As we ventured into town, some people gave us a weird, disapproving look but I could hardly care because Steve held my hand so tight, I never wanted to let go. I was reeling with joy.

Two-Bit and Dallas were on our porch when we arrived at my house. "Happy birthday, Soda." they said, and I gladly side-hugged them.

"Aw, you guys didn't have to show up." I said, internally knowing that wasn't the truth. This day was incomplete without the closest scoundrels I could ever have.

"Yeah, sure thing." Dally mockingly took a step out, but Two-Bit tugged on his jacket before he could make his way off the porch.

"Where else you gotta be, Dal?" Two-Bit poked fun at him.

Dally gave a low chuckle. "My sister's birthday party."

"You're full of it, Dally." Two-Bit gave a boisterous laugh.

"Shut up, Keith." Dally came crawling back, patting me on the shoulder. "Soda, we're always here, you know. Come on inside, man." he gave a side smirk to Keith and Steve. "We got you something."

"You got me something? Aw, you didn't have to." 

"Soda, you're home." Ponyboy came to the door, patting my arm. His smile never died, and his eyes looked just as young and pure as ever. Johnny's head popped out of the kitchen, giving us a small smile. "Hey, Soda."