fourteen

|CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
birth|

|CHAPTER FOURTEEN:birth|

THE HOSPITAL aired a hostile happiness mixed with silence and anticipation. The streets of New York could be heard despite how many floors up they were. Babies crying echoed but was muffled and no mother, thankfully, could be heard screaming as life entered the earth.

Amelia sat with her lip between her teeth, chewing, a metallic taste of blood sending her taste buds into shock now and again. Chandler sat next to her reading a magazine, the difference between the two that shared the same thoughts right now was that Chandler seemed calmed, at ease and relaxed; Amelia held a tense stand. She wasn't leaning back into the seat or slouched like Rachel—her back was upright almost as straight as a ruler and her eyes were in an alert mode. However, she knew this wasn't about her and had to swallow the pain away.

"She's having my baby and she's not here, she's not here!" Ross danced around the waiting room, nervousness sweating off him and running down his face like rain.

"I'm sure everything's fine. Has her water broke yet?" Monica attempted to calm down her jumping brother.

"I don't know, but when I spoke to her she said she'd already passed the mucus plug," Ross replied in a jittery motion unable to keep his feet still his words making Joey gag.

"She's not got a lot of time left then," Amelia imputed, recalling from memory the amount of time between the mucus plug and birth, already feeling Chandler's hand grip hers.

"Do we have to know about that?" Joey complained, getting up from his seat next to Rachel.

"What are you gonna do when you have a baby, Joey?" Monica drilled, pacing back and forth.

"I'll be sitting in the waiting room, passing out cigars," Joey answered, giving Monica a dumbfounded look.

"Classy," Amelia snorted, her nose wrinkling as she imagined Joey in a birthing situation.

"I don't believe this! I mean she could be giving birth in a cab," Ross pranced around, groaning and moaning as if he was the one in labour.

"Ross, relax. It's probably like two dollars for the first contraction and 50 cents for each additional contraction..." Rachel trailed off already laughing at her own jokes whilst the group cringed.

"What, it's okay when Chandler does it?" Rachel whined.

"You have to pick your moments."