The Massacre

Ahead of the young teenagers were a gathering crowd of protesters where they easily slip into the front of the crowd. A rock whizzed past the redhead and almost hit the captain of the redcoats if he didn't duck. She recognized the captain as Thomas Preston, he was a timed man, an honest one. He looked overwhelmed by the plight of the mob. He was trying to plead with the people to return home, but he his voice was drowned out by the angry crowd.

"Oi! Go back to England, you lobsterbacks!" James shouted beside her before throwing a rock at the small troop, he succeeds his target when the rock his Captain Preston in the face who stumbled back.

Catherine felt slightly appalled by the actions of her friend. Yes, the rights of the colonists were being hinged upon, but these soldiers were humans too. There were only 4,000 soldiers in the city of Boston out of 15,000, which seemed to overwhelm the people. Jobs were scarce due to the soldiers looking for work since their pay wasn't well.

Focusing on the redcoats, they had their muskets at the ready in case if anyone brandished a weapon. She did a quick head count to see that there were only eight soldiers, plus Captain Preston. Yet, there was someone lingering behind the wall of soldiers. This person was an older man in his mid-fifties that wore a navy blue coat that was made out fine rich materials with a cloak over his left shoulder. He was armed with a sword on his hip and pistol on the other. A red waistcoat was under the coat with cotton white trousers and knee-high boots that looked to be newly shined. His age was shown through the grey streaks in his hair and the crow's feet behind his eyes, but what was the most defined behind him was cool grey eyes that showed years of experience.

Catherine quietly study the nobleman as a wave of familiarity washed over her

///////////////////////////////

Catherine looked up at her father as the ship began to dock, there on the deck was a gentleman who was waiting to greet the captain. Shay kneeled down next to the girl, "Can you stay by my side? Don't wander off...You've already scared the daylights out of me."

Catherine nodded, "Yes papa,"

Shay seemed to accept her answer before walking down the plank holding her hand, the 7-year-old stayed close to her Father's side. He helped her down the plank where the well-dressed man was waiting for them, but gist was already talking to him

"Sorry for the delay sir, we had a slight situation." Gist scratched the back of his neck, "more of a small one."

"A small one?"

The well-dressed man looked passed the quartermaster and at the little girl that was standing by the sea captain. "I see..."

Her father wiped that nervous look on his face, "This is my daughter,"

Catherine smiled as she pulled her hand away from Shay and walked up to the man, "Hello, I am Catherine Cormac, it's my fault that my father is late, not his." She held out her hand to greet him. "Please to meet you,"

The older man changed his stern looking face to faint a smile, "All things considered, it's a pleasure to meet you, miss. Cormac." He bowed to her eye level to shake her hand. "My name is Haytham Kenway, tell me...how on earth did you cause his delay."

"I snuck aboard his ship, and was only discovered 2 days into his voyage..."

He hummed a small chuckle at the child. "That is very impressive for someone so young,"'

"Not really, it was easy because I fit inside a barrel."

Haytham stood back up, "Your daughter has quite the wit."