Waking nightmare

I screamed as the bodies of my family members were littered around the ground. I stumbled forward as I felt the bile rise up in my throat, I fell to my knees as I emptied my stomach, "Aly" I heard a voice in the distance as I kept glancing around, "hello," I called, "Hunter?" I asked as something grabbed at me, "why didn't you save us Aly," my family kept repeating as I fell to the ground, they crawled closer to me, "Stop please I'm so sorry let me go," I yelled as I kicked them off. I escaped them and ran away but no matter how far I ran it didn't matter.  I stopped and covered my ears as the ringing voices were getting to be too much.  'she traps you in a dream like state and then attacks' I heard what the others had told me repeat in my mind as my eyes widened. 

I pulled a small knife from my pocket and opened it quickly. I took a deep breath and carefully stabbed myself, the pain was enough as the bodies of my family faded away and was replaced with the ally way. At the other end Hunter sat staring at me with eyes glazed over. I winced again pulling the knife from my leg and dropping it as I made my way towards him. "I would stop if I were you," a gravelly voice emerged from the shadows as I stopped and my eyes widened. It was grotesque the frame was like a witches with its long clawed hands but the mouth was ripped open as she put her hand on hunters head. I pulled one of my guns out making it look like I only had one as I aimed for her. 

She shook one of her hands at me, "not so fast, one more move and I rip his throat out," she spoke as my eyes widened. "What do you want," I questioned her as she seemed to smile towards me, "I'm hungry," she said eyeing me, "and you smell delicious." I shivered slightly, "let Hunter go," i commanded, "No this one could be some use to me," she said stroking his head. 

"Hunter snap out of it," I yelled as he winced and emotions swam in his eyes, "What are you showing him," I asked. "His deepest desire but I tend to twist what they see around so that they become more vulnerable," she explained and began to walk closer towards me, "you are an interesting one because you broke out of my trick," she told me. As soon as she was far enough from Hunter I pulled the trigger but in a blink of an eye she was gone. 

'Damn she's fast,' I thought as I began to walk towards Hunter with caution. Next thing I knew my gun was striked out of my hand and I was forced to my knees as she had her hand wrapped around my neck. "That was a very bad mistake," she spoke as we heard footsteps  and Mark with his smoker came around the corner frozen in fear. "Your sacrifice is appreciated as now I have more things to feast on," she said and before I could do anything she sank her teeth into my shoulder and I let out a shriek from the pain. 

"No!," Mark shouted as Hunter seemed to snap out of it and my shriek turned to laughter as I pulled my other gun out and pressed it to her head. "Your right it was a bad mistake," I said as I felt her teeth release my shoulder as I turned following her with the barrel of the gun pressed against her. "That's not possible you should already be paralyzed," she growled as I smiled, "oh it's working but slowly my blood makes me immune from this virus," I said. 

She snarled and went to lunge at me but I pulled the trigger blasting a bullet into her head as she fell backwards and bled out from her wound. My arm started shaking as the poison began to paralyse me. My gun dropped as I started falling backwards and closed my eyes but, before I hit the concrete I felt arms cushion my fall. I opened my eyes as Hunter smiled down at me, I smiled back relieved that he was back to normal as Mark and his smoker joined us. 

"Your immune to the bites," he asked as I tried to nod but found I couldn't. "So am I, my entire group is," he said as my eyes widened, "You two are welcome to stay, it's the least I could offer after getting rid of the thing for us," he said as I moved my eyes to Hunter wondering if it would be safer for us. The vision she showed me of my family made my eyes widen, "We have to find her family we all got separated," Hunter said for me when I tried to speak but found I could not move my mouth. He nodded, "I understand I wish you luck," he said as we heard the horn for the boat in the distance. 

"Sounds like your friends are waiting for you two," Smoker said as Hunter nodded, "Don't panic the poison should  where off in a few hours, hopefully," Mark said as Hunter tucked his arms under my knees and stood up, "Hopefully we'll all meet again," Smoker said as Hunter nodded and crouched, holding on to me as he jumped til he was on the roof of the building.  He began to carefully leap from the rooftops as the harbor began coming into view. He stopped on the roof of an decaying burger joint as the boat was still parked on the dock. 

"I see them," Coach yelled as Hunter leap from the building and landed a few feet away. He walked us onto the boat and set me down against the cabin as Virgil started the boat up and began sailing down the river. "What happened," Zoey asked kneeling next to me, "Aly killed that Siren/witch thing," Hunter explained, "I guess she had to let her guard down to get close enough to it though." Zoey pulled the hoodie away from my shoulder as the bite was already healing up. "So your paralyzed, for how long" Rochelle asked as I felt my mouth loosed up, "Looks like its wearing off," I said slowly.

The roar of a tank made us all glance up as everyone and their infected waved towards us. "You really helped them," Hunter said sitting next to me as I smiled being able to tilt my head as Zoey and Rochelle went to Ellis and Francis. Bill, Louis, Coach and Nick were starting up a game of poker as Virgil's humming could be heard from inside his small cabin. I felt a small pressure around my hand as I blushed, "Are you um holding my hand," I asked as he pulled down his hood blushing, "Yeah I'm sorry," he said, "You don't having to apologize for holding my hand," I said with a growing blush as he smiled, "No for saving me from the thing. When I heard you crying out in pain I couldn't help but snap out of my trance," he told me. 

"What did she show you," I asked as his blush grew, "I was human again and living in a non zombie world with," he mumbled the last part but I knew what he said. "I'm tired," I said changing the subject as he nodded, "Do you want me to take you inside," he asked. "No the night air is perfect but do you mind me using you as a pillow," I asked as he smiled and moved closer and used his other hand to move my head to his shoulder. I closed my eyes as his head leaned on to mine and we were both in complete happiness as Virgil continued down the river way getting closer to New Orleans and closer to my family.