Chapter 12

KYE'S POV

We back inside the academy, to the section for training. We grabbed four paintball guns and Connor led us back outside. We walked along the pathway down into an area of forestry that is sealed by fences. It was made as an arena for demon slayers to practice various training skills.

"I booked the place earlier on, so there shouldn't be anyone else in here." Connor said.

"Good. Makes it harder for those who can't play." I replied looking at Tasha.

"For your information, I have played this before, and I can't wait to see you yell in pain from my very, accurate aim." Tasha replied smiling.

I laughed. "Bring it on."

"So what are the rules?" Tasha asked.

"There are none. When the game ends there will be a buzzing sound but other than that you just play. However you only have a certain amount of paintballs and these extra," Connor said as he handed out extra packets of paintballs, "So think wisely and be on target. But as I said already, I never miss, so let's just see who wins. One more thing before we start. You have 30 seconds inside before the game starts, so if you shoot before then you loose ammunition and lose points." Connor replied.

"Let the best player win." I said and then ran into the arena.

TASHA'S POV

I counted down the thirty seconds as I ran through the trees. I needed to create as much space as possible between myself and the others. I looked behind me as I ran. 20..19.. I couldn't see the fences now. I didn't want to be in the middle of the arena either, so I ran in a different direction. 10...9...8. I stopped running now and tried to find an area of cover.

"Think, Tasha think" I whispered to myself. I heard a tweeting noise above my head.

"That's it, I need to get high." 5...4... I swung my gun over my shoulder and grabbed the lowest branch and started to climb the tree. 2...1... I kept climbing to the top of the tree to get an overall view of the area. It was a rectangular arena. The buzzer sounded. I made my way back into the branches of the trees. I decided to camp here for the beginning of the game.

I remembered when I first went paintballing. It was outside in an area like this and I remember my mother telling me rules for survival instincts.

"Firstly, you need to get a view of the area and become familiar with your surroundings." I always wondered how she knew these things, and it all makes sense now.

"Second step, find a place to hide and wait to see who passes by, if someone does you shoot, and then find a new place to hide in."

So, I waited. Finally I could see footsteps and hear the crunch of the leaves. I lowered my breathing until it was barely audible. I raised my gun up to my eye level and focused on a target. I decided to aim for the foot, to temporarily damage their foot from walking to catching up to me when I ran. I smiled, and pulled the trigger. I hit directly on the foot.

"Shit" I heard them shout. It was Brad. I laughed and decided my best shot was to move to a different tree first before getting down. Brad was turning trying to see who hit him. I shot at him again in the arm, then for his right shoulder. Paint of green splattered over him and I jumped down from my tree. I ran, dodging between trees. I heard Brad's running footsteps behind me.

"You're gonna pay for this Tasha!" Brad shouted. I laughed again, I couldn't help it, I was already having fun. I jumped over a fallen tree log and landed on my feet. I turned quickly and brought my gun up and shot again at Brad's knee. At the same time he shot back and I dropped, just barely managing to escape his shot. I ran in a different direction, now going to find a new place to hide.

KYE'S POV

I cautiously made my way around the woods. I had an advantage over the rest of them, I could run faster, jump higher, dodge quicker, see further and hear better. I smiled. I knew this arena well from practices, and I'm sure Connor did too. I knew the best hiding places and where most people tended to go. I made my way, weaving through the trees.

Further up ahead I could see Connor, with his back to me.

"Stupid kid" I thought. Never turn your back on your enemy. I quickly moved behind a tree and raised my gun. I aimed at his neck. I fired.

"I heard its a bitch in the neck." I shouted as he let out a shocked grunt. I ran out in the open, aiming now for his upper leg. Before I could shoot, he had already turned and fired my right shoulder. Connor's reflexes were just as fast as mine. He had taken the test. The realisation puzzled me, he is only 16. While I stood there like an idiot, Connor fired several shots at my shoulder and arms. I finally moved out of the way, into cover, I looked down at my clothes, covered in orange paint. "This guy is good." I decided to make this battle interesting.

CONNOR'S POV

I think Kye would have guessed that I took the test. I also realised he did too. He had good skill, but I know better. I closed my eyes and listened carefully. I could hear breathing, Kye's and I heard his light footsteps move out from behind the trees. I opened my eyes and jumped out and fired hitting Kye just below the neck. I dived down behind a tree trunk and fired. Kye shot back, and the paintballs left small stings on my arms and shoulders. I jumped up and ran towards Kye . I felt the adrenaline kick in and I ran faster, Kye continued taking shots. I slid down onto my feet and shot Kye in his two legs. Then for my final shot I aimed at his neck. He yelled in pain.

"Yeah it is a bitch in the neck, isn't it." I said smugly and ran into the woods.

KYE'S POV

After Connor left I headed off in the opposite direction. I was careful this time to stick to the shady areas to avoid being discovered. I listened out carefully for any unusual noises. After a minute I heard uneven breathing and it was getting louder. I crouched and looked around me. I couldn't see anyone. I listened again. The breathing was still there. I stood up and cautiously moved. Suddenly I heard a gun shoot. It hit me right in the groin. "Shit. Why did you do that! That fucking hurts!" I shouted.

From her hiding place I heard her say "I told you I always hit on target."

She walked out smiling. For a second I ignored the pain and just looked at her smiling. Suddenly I ran at her and tackled her to the ground. I pinned her down and pointed my gun between her eyes.

"Do you want to apologise, or do you want paint all over your face?" I said teasingly.

"Ok, ok I'm sorry please don't shoot me!" Tasha replied still smiling. I lowered my gun. She tried to move but I kept her down.

"Well," I whispered "How are you going to make it up to me?" I felt my heart beating faster but I could also feel her pulse too, her heart racing. She looked up to me but didn't say anything. So I decided to do the most idiotic thing, and I leaned forward. I felt her breath stop short. Instead of pinning her hands down I moved my palms on hers and our fingers intertwined. Then I kissed her, knowing that she was going out with my best friend, but you know what, I didn't care and I liked it and I could tell that she felt something too. She kissed me back, but by then I came back to my senses and pulled back. I stood up.

"Tasha, I'm so sorry."

Tasha picked up her gun and started shooting me, multiple times while shouting at me.

"Why did you do that? Do you have no respect at all? Brad is your best friend! Would you like it if he kissed your girlfriend! Stay away from me!" She shouted and she ran.

"Tasha, wait please......" I trailed off realising that she wasn't going to come back.

TASHA'S POV

I ran and didn't look back. I was still in shock and full of anger. Deep down, I knew I liked it, I even kissed back, but I am not ready to admit that. I thought of Brad and my heart felt like it was breaking. How am I going to tell him? I couldn't cry, not until I was truly alone. I had to keep on a brave face for now. I hid out for the rest of the game, I had no energy left to put into it.

BRAD'S POV

I heard Tasha shouting at Kye, and it came out quite clearly. I threw my gun in anger and watched it break as it hit the tree trunk. I then collapsed and held my head in my hands as they balanced on my knees. Frustration built up inside me.