Chapter 11: PHOTOWORLD

Later on the morning of Galen Randall's arrival in Miami by pilot boat, the receptionist looked up when Randall entered the PhotoWorld penthouse lobby. He was clean-shaven, styled and blown dry, and filling out a Perry Ellis suit in the best way possible. The office seemed to glow with new life when he stepped through its double glass doors.

"Good morning, Mister Randall. Welcome back. Pierce says your luggage has been delivered to your house. The galleys of your new book arrived by Federal Express. I put them on your desk."

"Thanks, Jeanette," he said with a warm feeling of homecoming. "Call Pierce and tell him there's film in the Styrofoam cooler in the lobby. He should get it to the lab immediately." Then he took a moment to enjoy the city view from his penthouse window wall. After a dozen heartbeats, he turned again to Jeanette. "Well, it's been three months. No earthquakes?"

"No, sir. I'm afraid California is still there. Looks like you'll be making that trip after all." Jeanette's eyes sent sympathy his way. "I'm sorry."

"That makes two of us." He straightened his shoulders and marched toward his inner office.

His office was on a corner, with views in two directions from huge glass windows. It had lots of light and air, a sign on the door that read "Galen Randall, President," and apparently a sophisticated radar system because no sooner had he entered than he was joined immediately by Meriweather.

"Good morning, Mister Randall. Welcome back. Your plane tickets are on your desk."

He eased himself into his massive black leather desk chair. "Morning, Meriweather. Couldn't we start with good news for a change?"

"Very well," she said. "Circulation is up. This month'sedition is on schedule and on budget, and I'll take care of proofreading thetext of the galleys for you.  

    "Also, I have taken the liberty of sendingflowers to each of the young ladies with whom you had scheduled dates to takeplace while you were away on this latest spur-of-the-moment expedition; whichsupposedly 'very important' dates you neglected...

    "Also, I have taken the liberty of sendingflowers to each of the young ladies with whom you had scheduled dates to takeplace while you were away on this latest spur-of-the-moment expedition; whichsupposedly 'very important' dates you neglected to cancel.