Chapter One

It was dark, yet it was all clear to someone with eyes that were trained to spot anything in the dark. The door to the library flew open and he heard raucous laughter. Brilliant. He was drunk. I hated it when they were drunk. It made my job a lot easier but it took those drunken fools some time to figure out that they would be dead in less than five seconds.

My ears tingled slightly as I heard a different noise. A whimper.

I smiled. Perfect. So the drunken fool wouldn’t see it coming but the woman he had dragged in with him would. I moved stealthily towards the noise.

I felt myself shiver in anticipation. One more kill count and I’d get my seventh tattoo. Just then, I heard another whimper. Maybe I should let the drunken idiot enjoy his last few moments.

“If you utter a word, you know the consequences.”

I frowned. So it wasn’t consensual? Oh well. Time to crash this party. I heard the ruffle of clothes right then and knew I wasn’t alone. I pressed myself back against the wall, looking around. Another person couldn’t have escaped my vision.

I nearly growled in frustration. I had to take him now. There he was, that lecherous bastard, bending someone over a table. My eyes widened slightly. A boy.

I darted towards them, moving silently, unnoticed due to his drunken stupor. I hissed quietly when I passed them both. The man immediately stumbled backwards, looking around.

“Is someone there?”

It was the same reaction, as usual. I found it amusing how they thought we’d deign them with a response. The boy he had bent over the table looked around, wildly. He tried to pull his pants back up but the man stopped him.

“Don’t you dare move. Lay back down.”

My lips curled in disgust. Such subordination was appalling. Just then, the man decided there was no one around. He turned back to the boy and ripped his shirt off. I darted back out of the corner, towards them, pulling out my dart. As I passed the man, I inserted it in the back of his neck and pulled it out, just as fast.

He slapped at his neck and then slowly began spinning.

“Wha-what?”

The boy immediately grabbed his shirt and pulled it on. “Mister Greg?”

I shook my head slightly. I smiled slightly when I noticed the boy kicked his uncle slightly as he lay on the floor, dead. The boy staggered back as he realized.

He looked around wildly, “Who sent you?”

Oh. He was smart. He knew that wasn’t just a random heart attack.

He continued, “You just killed Greg Reynolds, one of the world’s richest men.”

I yawned. You don’t say? I did do my research, give me some credit. I don’t go around killing a person every other night.

I heard the faint rustle of clothing again. My eyes snapped back towards the door and I nearly hit myself.

Jade Ekans.

She stepped out of the shadows and slowly walked towards the boy. He stood up straighter as he watched her. I don’t blame him. Jade was a striking woman. I just wasn’t interested. She wasn’t my type. Or rather, girls in general, weren’t my type.

Jade sang quietly, “Nicky, come out to play.”

I froze. How did she know?

Time to throw my voice.

“It’s Britney, bitch.”

Her head snapped to the north-west corner, where she thought I was. Ah, the art of Ventriloquism was never wasted on me.