chapter eleven

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." 

--K.L

Mitch / Zephyr

"Sometimes I just feel like everything is going too perfect, any moment something is going to ruin what we have and I'm going to be heartbroken." Nobi told me as she lay on my chest while 90s music played lowly.

"Why, though?" 

"I've never been this happy in my life, I be thinking it's a dream but then I wake up and it's still the same. Every day gets better between us, I'm just scared."

"It's my job to make you feel this way, when we argue I be miserable. I don't ever want you to go through shit alone, you won't want for nothing and you won't ever search for happiness elsewhere."

"And then you say shit like that, you're going to make my gangster ass cry." I smiled kissing her forehead.

"I'm just being honest though, I was just telling Jace before we went to the block party like I'm really in love bro."

"At least you know the feeling is mutual, I'm in love with you." 

"I know because you show and tell me."

We fell into a silence, a comforting silence. We were in our own thoughts as I continued to dwell on our relationship. To think, a few months ago she wasn't even trying to fuck with me but now look at us. I promise this was the last relationship I was going to be in because can't anything or anyone make this feeling go away. 

"Do you wanna go to prom with me?" She asked after a few minutes looking up at me. 

"I think I want a prom proposal." I joked making her roll her eyes. 

"I mean I can ask Izzy and he'll say yes without even thinking about it." 

"I mean I can whoop both of y'all ass without feeling bad about it." I shrugged. 

"You always so violent." 

"You more violent than anybody." 

"Whaaat?" She dragged out. "I am against all that, fighting? What is that?" 

"Righttt." I dragged out laughing. 

"What do you want for your birthday? I've been trying to think of something but you have everything so why not ask you." 

"I don't want nothing." I told her honestly. "As long as I'm with you, I'll be alright." 

"But I want to get you something, you spend money on me everyday. I wanna spend money on you for once to make you happy." 

"I spend money on you because I got it, I could afford to waste money cause however much I spend I could make it back in the next hour. Don't spend your money on me when it can go to something useful."

"I want to though Zeph, I wanna make you happy." She repeated. 

"Material shit don't make me happy though baby." I looked at her. "I would be okay without all my cars and designer shit, I buy shit just because I can sometimes. You are what makes me happy." 

I pulled her on me as she smiled putting her hands on my chest, she looked at the time making me look. It was 7:30 and we should already been getting ready but we were still cuddled up, knowing what I was thinking she laid down on my chest.

"Can we stay home today? I'm not doing anything in my classes and I can ask someone for the work." 

"I'll call out of work since I really don't have the energy to get up."