Then she sat up and blinked twice. Before she knew what she was doing, Ester took out her phone and dialled his number. Someone had to do the first step and she felt like it was her turn. It rung. And rung.

Ester scoffed and stood up with a glare after hanging up. She shook her head and left her room to knock on Olivia's door. She hoped her roommate was still awake and felt relief settle in when Olivia eventually opened her door.

"I know it's almost midnight and I feel like a leech for asking, but could you drive me somewhere? It won't take long, please." Ester didn't have to say much. Olivia knew her friend and Devon weren't on speaking terms and she figured this had something to do with him.

"Where to?" Was all Olivia asked before the two girls were on their way to Devon's place.
.
.
.

"Now that I'm actually here, I don't know what to do." Ester admitted, glancing at the apartment complex outside her window. Olivia refrained from sighing.

"I love you, Ester. But I only have limited nights of six hours of sleep. I'm not pressuring you, but if you make me drive you somewhere at almost midnight, you better have a good reason." Olivia said, rubbing her eyes. She knew Ester needed a little push. And she wasn't exactly lying.

"I know, I know. I just- What should I say?" Ester asked her friend, looking back at her with sad eyes.
"I don't exactly know what happened, but how about you just discuss the obvious reason why you guys stopped talking with each other?" Olivia shrugged.

"But it's not that easy." Ester hesitated.
"Okay, just knock on his door and see his reaction. Maybe he'll do the talking, you never know. Especially between you two I feel like your conversations just come naturally. Don't rehearse now, just go over there." Olivia said after turning her full body towards Ester.

"You're right." Ester took one last breath before opening the car door and getting out. She shook her head and shut the door before approaching his apartment complex. At least his neighbourhood looked way nicer than her own, Ester thought as she slowly but surely walked up the path to the front door.

She opened it and walked up the stairs, which normally she wouldn't do. Devon lived on floor six, she remembered but wanted to use all the time she got. Each step up made her heartbeat pick up speed.

Once she reached the top of the last staircase, she was out of breath. So she took another two minutes to calm her heart down. At least she tried to. And when Ester realized it wasn't exactly working the way she wanted it to, she gave up and just turned to her right. His door was only three meters away from her now and she could not seem to turn around anymore.

She has gotten this far, giving up was not an option anymore. And in a split second, she found herself knocking on his grey front door. Then she listened and could hear faint footsteps. But not only one pair, she heard. And then she heard someone silence the other person right before the door opened.

Ester was frowning in confusion and wanted to know who else was behind that door. But first she had to get past those eyes. Those beautiful, mesmerizing malachite eyes.

Devon blinked, obviously surprised.
"Ester?" Was the first thing that slipped out of his mouth. She inwardly shook her head, willing her brain to look past those eyes and face the matter at hand.

"Devon, we need to talk." She said with surprisingly much confidence in her voice. The man in front of her gulped right before he clenched his jaw. And right in front of Ester, he had changed attitude in a heartbeat.

"No, we don't." He said, much to her surprise.
"You-"
"We shouldn't. In fact, Ester. We should never talk again. This was a mistake and I'm sorry I gave you false hope." Devon appeared so void of any emotions, much different than from what she's used to.

"What?" Was all Ester could say as she felt her throat clog up. Was this real?
"You heard me." He spat out, making Ester take a step back with an aching heart.

"So that's it? That is how easy you're going to break up with me?" Her shaking voice reached his ears. Devon didn't seem to have to hold back anything when he spoke his next words.

"Break up with you? We were never a couple. This boyfriend, girlfriend thing is an illusion. Yes, I asked you but don't think that meant anything to me. Because it didn't." He told her, resulting in the first tear of the evening. Ester wiped it away with a gulp.

"I can't love anybody, Ester. I don't date people. I fuck them and that's it. And you were supposed to be no exception. Only that stuff happened and I realized you're not worth it." Each word cut through her chest like a butcher knife.

"So please just leave." He said, not looking at her. Ester didn't even realize that something was off, she was blinded by the pain he caused her. And in two swift motions, Ester had slapped his cheek and took a huge step back.

She didn't know what to say or do and so she just took off. Away from him.

Away from the heartless monster she fell for.