"The killer Doc and his new victim?" She said, catching Devon's attention. He rushed to get the photo out of her hands as he read the one line that someone wrote on the back. His whole body tensed up and his eyebrow twitched as he gripped the photo hard.

"Devon?" Ester asked, placing a hand on his shoulder. He couldn't answer her, he was too shocked. His breathing became heavier, Ester noticed in horror. What was happening to him? And what did they mean by 'Killer Doc'? All those question started invading her mind.

"Devon, what do they mean?" She asked out loud, pulling Devon out of it. He shook his head, ripped the photo in many little pieces and turned towards her.
"I don't know." He said quietly.

Ester did not believe a word he said and frowned up at him, seemingly angering him further.
"What? I said I have no idea." He growled and Ester took a step back in surprise. His eyes flickered towards her legs and then he blinked.

"Ester, I-" He cut himself off, not knowing what to do. He had lost a piece of her trust, he knew. She had to be curious and knowing that he lost his doctor's license might not help along with the fact that the person called him a 'Killer Doc', which did not make it any easier.

"I'll drive you home." Was all he said before walking past her and opening his front door. He waited for her to follow him. Ester was very confused as she approached him at the door. She wouldn't exactly call herself scared, but she wasn't naive enough to not watch his every move now.

They walked down to his car in silence, both of them not noticing the other be in their own world. Ester's head was filled with unpleasant questions and annoying theories. Devon's head was filled with potential culprits and future conversations with Ester. He had to explain to her and that simple fact made him clench his fists.

He thought moving here was going to be better. He thought he could leave his old life in Switzerland. But now it came back. Everything came back and people still hated him. No matter where he went, he was deemed to be unhappy and alone.

Everything was perfect for a few minutes after Ester agreed to be his girlfriend. But within a second, his world crumbled apart in front of his eyes. It was as if the universe had a plan for him, the revenge of what he did all those years ago.

Only when the two were in the car together and either of them talked, did they suddenly become aware of the other. Ester glanced at him the moment he decided to look at her. But again, no words were spoken as Devon just started up his car and started driving her home.

The tension between them was thick and many question marks grazed it. Was she going to ask him again? And was he going to explain?

Ester couldn't believe her bad luck. She had just said yes to her very first boyfriend and now she thought of him as- as what? She couldn't even think that. Devon, the Devon she knew at least, was not a killer. He was obnoxious at times, rude and lacked of gentleman skills but he would not kill anybody, she knew.

Devon started gripping his steering wheel tight after reminiscing about their night together. How could the universe be so cruel? Why make her his right before pulling her away from him again? Did he not suffer enough from the looks people gave him? From the abundance that took place right after he did it?

The drive took him only a few minutes. But they stayed in the car even after he stopped it in front of her apartment complex. His hands were shaking and his eyes suddenly felt dry. Ester had yet to look at him, which was why she didn't realize that he was not okay.

"Devon, what did they mean by Killer Doc?" She asked, not being able to look at him. He didn't answer. He couldn't.

"Devon-"
"Ester, just go." He snapped at her, finally turning to look to his right. She was not looking at him and his heart ached knowing she had doubts now.

Ester didn't want to pressure him into anything, but she also didn't need him to snap at her. He wasn't the only one in shock tonight. But did she snap at him?

So without another word but clearly upset, Ester opened her door and stepped outside.
"Thank you for the dinner." She said right before slamming his door shut and angrily walking up to her door.

She didn't dare look back, especially after hearing his ignition being turned on again and his wheels let out a screeching sound as he quickly took off. She felt her eyes begin to sting.

He always waited for her to be safe and inside before driving away.