2 | caring for her

CHAPTER - 2

The next days followed each other and feelings kept growing in me, each time I used to see her. Well it was nothing less. She still gave such effects to me.

I still remember that day, when we encountered each other for the second time, few days later. Though I would never wish anyone to live it.

It was late in the evening, mostly everyone left the campus to reach their rooms after special classes.

If I knew she used to reach hostel alone on foot, I would have never let that happen and just waited for her. She was one of those few that stayed back till closing time.

She came out of the main gate, and the surroundings were quite horrible due to the darkness, although the place was mostly covered of streetlights. She speeded her walk when she felt something strange was to happen. She noticed few shadows of people that made way towards her ; which scared her. A little bit faster walking, she tried to escape her followers but they ended reaching her. Alone against these people, she just looked at them all fearing what was to happen. Her lips kept calling God's name, still checking each pair of eyes around her.

'Hey babe, wanna come with us ?'
'Bro, don't talk to her like this. Look at her, she's so scared.'

They all laughed at her weakness, while she couldn't do anything, even if she wanted to.

Bored after dinner while Gautam was talking for more than a hour to his girlfriend on the phone, I decided to take some fresh air and came down to the dark and free street, carrying on my usual bed wear, a plain grey t-shirt, an old pair of joggings, and my slippers.

'List... listen! Let me go. I... I am not...', the poor girl stammered at them.

A voice echoed in the street because of background silence, that caught my attention. And my eyes fell on some people, quite far from my vision, standing under the streetlight, which made it clear to recognise who they could be. Few young guys, that seemed not straight, drunk, and in the middle, one young female figure. She looked quite scared and that was obvious the situation seemed not right at all. I couldn't stand there not helping her by humanity and I slowly went towards them.

'Oe ! Who are you ? What are you guys doing ?'

I slowly walked towards them and those young men turned to me as a response. That's how the one, who was blocking my way to see her face, cleared it. I reacted more astonished seeing her there, and not someone else.

'Naina!', I widened my eyes all by sudden.

She certainly was quite relieved to see I was there for her, but scare didn't move an inch away of her face. And anger grew faster in me that I stepped forward in determination.

'What are you doing ?', groaned I.
'Who are you to ask it ?', one of those cheap fellows asked.
'I am warning you, just leave her. Otherwise...'
'Hehe! Look at this one. Threatening us huh ?'

She looked at me requesting hard to get her out of the mess.

'What if we don't ?', he continued.

And his dirty hands fully covered her arm. How dare he! My anger was no more controllable now, and I just balled my fists, a death glare on my face that actually scared Naina.

'Hmmm! Now what will you do ?', tightening his grip on her soft skin, he challenged me.
'Go away, and let us enjoy.', one other put his hand on my chest trying to push me.

That was it! I held his arm and twirled it at 180°, causing pain to his shoulder, and I kicked him hard with my foot on his chest, while he fell down yelling in pain.