Chapter 5

3/28/2011
Sally sat alone on the park bench, her father dutifully watching her from a distance. She sighed and tugged a strand of her hair, hating how protective her father had been lately. She knew that there was a crazy psychotic murderer on the loose, but her father was giving her almost no freedom to go outside nor see anyone she knew. She was grateful to be outside, but she knew it was only to get fresh air; she wasn't supposed to talk to anyone. She had been feeling as though she was a bird in a cage with its wings clipped; chained down to her own home, confined to the dark rooms and not allowed any contact with her adoptive brother. Her father had gone so far as to take her out of school, permanently cutting her ties with any "friends" she had/could've made. Her father had unplugged the TV and had hidden the cord so Sally couldn't watch the news, so she had to resort to reading and drawing in desperation.
As hours passed, Sally sat in silence, until her father came over and took her hand, leading her to the car. She sat in silence in the car, her father not uttering a word either. She was like her father in the aspect of she could tell when it was not right to speak, and this was one of those times. The silence wasn't really that awkward for her; she actually preferred the silence to that of talking.
As they arrived home, Sally retreated to her room. She opened a book and began to read, which was really the only form of entertainment she had at home. She gazed out the window, longing to see the Acachallas again.

3/29/2011
Sally grabbed a blue and white headband that her father had once bought her off the shelf and tugged it a little. She turned her head to look around the room. Her father had never let her go into the basement before; he told her since she had to be separated from the Acachallas, the least he could do for her was let her explore the house some. Sally took things off the shelf little by little, always tugging at them or playing with them before putting them back. Suddenly, she saw a scarf lying on the shelf. She grabbed it and examined it; it was white, with red and blue fireworks covering it. It reminded her of her birthday, which was the Fourth of July. She had always seen flags and fireworks on that day, ever since she could remember. She put the scarf on, and soon went back to her room. She took out a piece of paper and began to doodle on it, drawing a picture of Billy to give to him as a present for when she would see him next. She began to color the drawing, happily humming to herself, enjoying a small bit of joy in such a dark time.