Chapter 1

1/10/2011
"Hey Papa, is Gertrude coming today?" Billy asked, skipping into the room where Papa was sat on the couch, watching the TV. "No, but Sally is." Papa replied. "Sally's coming? Yay!" Billy cried happily. "Calm down Billy." Papa said gruffly. Billy smiled and ran up to his room. He grabbed the remote and turned his own TV on, turning it onto Cartoon Network. He then ran back downstairs, raiding the fridge for food. The fridge was stacked full of lasagna and beer, so Billy just grabbed a plate of lasagna and stuck it in the microwave for a bit. "When will Sally be here Papa?" Billy cried. "She'll be here in 5 minutes Billy, now calm your butt down." Billy smiled as he opened the microwave, grabbing the plate of lasagna. He took another plate and stuck it in the microwave, tapping his finger as he waited for the timer to go off. As soon as he heard the small 'ping!', he grabbed the plate out of the microwave, grabbed the other plate, and went back to his room, setting the plates on his bed. He set out some of his toy cars, and a knock was heard at the door.
Billy ran downstairs and opened it, and Sally stepped in. She was wearing her normal black jacket and gray undershirt, and her chocolate brown hair was lying on her shoulders. "Hey Billy." She said, smiling. "I'm here now. Dad said I can stay for three days."
"That's great Sally! I have Cartoon Network on upstairs!" "Ok, but can I take a look at the news first? There's something going on, but Dad refuses to let me see." "Yeah, sure. Hey Papa? Can we watch the news with you?" Billy shouted. "If you two want to." Papa replied, and Billy and Sally ran into the room where Papa was. Papa took the remote and changed to the news channel, where a woman was relaying news.
"Two days ago, on eighth of January, police made a shocking discovery: the corpses of two men, lying face down in the dirt. Both men had been stabbed repeatedly, and someone had then writted "Ha ha ha" in blood on the wall next to them. Police are baffled by the scene, as no evidence to the killer's identity was left except the words written." The woman said. "And today, at 11 am, police found another body: a woman, no older than 25, lying in a flower bed. Like the two men, she had been stabbed repeatedly. But unlike the two men, the words "Ha ha ha" had been carved into her skin. Police fear we might have a serial killer on our hands."
Billy, Sally, and Papa sat there in shock. Papa immediately turned off the TV. "I can see now why my dad refused to let me watch the news." Sally said quietly. "Kids, for the next three days, you will stay inside. You will only go outside with me." Papa said. "I don't want y'all getting hurt."
Billy and Sally nodded in unison, and they then ran upstairs to Billy's room.
"A serial killer!" Sally cried, her brown eyes wide with fear. "What are we going to do?" "The police will probably catch this person. We just gotta do whatever Papa tells us: stay inside, and never go outside alone." Sally nodded solemnly. "I feel bad for the people who died." She whispered quietly. Billy nodded in agreement, and the two sat in silence, Billy's plan for a fun day ruined.