VII.

NATASHA paced back and forth in her chambers, as the sky grew darker and the luminous chandeliers lit the room. She needs to discard of the blame put upon her, she was innocent in this scenario and somehow whatever evil plot is happening involves herself.

"You're not in good position," James stated as he entered the room, in a tone which tried not to be that uneasy.

"Thank you for reminding me James," she answered bitterly, not exactly fond that her thoughts are interrupted by such a shallow statement she already knew.

Irritated that his presence was ignored, he added, "Steve was considering to call off the alliance," and now he had Natasha's full attention, the expression of shock evident on her face.

"I didn't do it," Natasha said convincingly, knowing that the reason between Steve's consideration was because he thought it was her doing.

"I believe you," James said softly as he approached her.

"But Steve doesn't," she said to herself, "How wonderful."

"Perhaps you should go and talk to him, maybe this time he'll listen," he suggested, she shook her head no, she knew she needed to prove herself innocent before Steve would believe her.

"Where is he anyway?" she asked.

"He wouldn't leave Sharon's side," he replied and she let out a sigh, "She's awake now, but she's still a bit weak," with that Natasha's eyes shot up. Perfect.

"I need to speak to her. Could you do me a favor?" James answered with an eager nod, and soon he went off to call Steve to an urgent matter needing his immediate attention. And so Natasha was able to slip into Sharon's chamber without Steve's hateful eyes. She found the blonde on the bed, who lifted her eyes from her book to meet her gaze.

"I hope you're feeling better, Lady Sharon," Natasha greeted warmly, she didn't see Sharon as an enemy and she doesn't now, and she figure she might've been too direct to her she might as well try to be softer to the other woman.

"I'm feeling better, thank you," she replied and moved her leg slightly to give Natasha room to sit on her bed, but Natasha chose to stand. Natasha continued to ask her to explain the details before she fell ill.

"You came in," she said so surely, and Natasha creased her brows, "But you weren't the one who poisoned me I am sure, although Steve might still be doubting that."

"How can you be so sure?" Natasha wondered curiously, she should be the one leading the charges against her not supporting her.

She snorted like she couldn't believe Natasha's words, "Oh, please. Why would you? You barely see me as a competitor, with your looks alone you could've win Steve over if you wanted too without needing to remove me from the picture. When you went in here my food is all the way on the other side of the room, so yes. I am sure it wasn't you," she explained and Natasha smiled by how sweet this girl can be, it isn't a wonder why Steve fell for her.

Grateful that at least someone other than James believed in her, she decided to continue on with her investigations, "Well, thank you. But I really do need your help, can you remember who brought you your food?"

Sharon answered like it was an easy answer,"It was there when I returned to my room , I didn't know who brought it. Actually, I haven't touched them yet, I wonder why the doctors are so certain it's the food."

When Natasha was about to give up and leave, Sharon spoke up once more, "But, yesterday a new kitchenmaid brought me a basket of strawberries, said it was a gift from Steve. I ate plenty of them."

"Was it really his gift?"

"Haven't had the chance to ask," she shrugged, "It's still there on the cart if you want a look." So she did take a look, just like the lush red strawberries she just ate with James, but when she took a sniff, an odd smell for a fruit, a smell so sweet it stings her nose. Those who didn't know better would think this poison dipped strawberries are sugarcoated ones and with that Natasha bolted out the room with a quick thank you and rushed to Steve's office, where he and James were in a middle of a serious discussion on Midgardian territories and something of a possible attack, but then again that kind of talk is normal talk in a castle.