Chapter One •The Ceremony Of Apprenticeship And Leaders•

Start from the beginning

Gingerkit nodded. "Well, I'm Gingerkit, and this is Tabbykit. She's half-blind." Gingerkit instinctively moved herslef in front of her sister to protect her from the harsh words.

"Two slaves in one ceremony?" Creamkit tilted her head. "I don't think that's common, except when Leafwing and her kits became slaves."

Orangekit just rolled her dark green eyes. "Who cares how many slaves we have? As long as they do their jobs, we don't need to give them a second thought." She scoffed.

Tabbykit slinked over to Graykit's side, her pale green eyes downcast. Gingerkit bowed her head. I want to stand up for her, but then the other kits will think I'm weak.

"All hunters, fighters, slaves, and elders, join us under the Golden Oak for the ceremony of apprenticeship!" Leafwing instantly started washing Gingerkit's pelt, though it wasn't that dusty to begin with, minus her tail.

The six kits walked excitedly towards the towering oak, watching as the leaders and next leaders leapt onto their respective branches. The apprentices of next sat at the roots, furs sleek and clean as always.

Glancing around, Gingerkit felt everycat's gaze, be it yellow, amber, blue, or green, burning into her pelt. Shared murmers swept through the clan as the kits took their place in front of the tree, gazing up at the leaders.

Glisteningstar stepped forward, always the cat to begin the meetings, being the oldest of the leaders. She was older than both Velvetwing and Owltooth, but refused to step down from her position. Arrogant furrball. Gingerkit only kept her eyes on the sky.

"Cats of the great and mighty DawnClan, we are here for the ceremony of apprenticeship." The clan fell into complete silence, their gazes turning to the sky. "But first, our prayer to our ancestors."

Gingerkit let out a contented sigh. She knew the prayer by heart. Each cat had their muzzles to the sunlight, and chanted the familiar words.

"Oh mighty StarClan, ancestors of new and old, guide our paws so we may never stumble down the path of treachery, and may those who have suffer for many moons to come, serving our every need along those who are useless."

That last line stung Gingerkit in the heart. She used to be able to say that without remorse, but now her sister was considered one of the 'useless'.

Eighty-three heads turned their gazes back to the Golden Tree. Graykit tried, but his sightless eyes gazed just below Leopardchaser's branch. Tigerstar scowled at the kit before continuing. "First of all, I am sorry to announce, but Lionstar and Dreamstar are retiring."

The clan bowed their heads. Gingerkit gave the two old leaders respective nods, knowing they had served their clan long and hard. "We welcome Lionflight and Dreamweaver to the den of elders, and Cougarstar and Wishstar, we welcome you to the den of leaders."

The former leaders climbed down the tree as the others shifted onto their new branches. The clan broke into loud cheering. "LIONFLIGHT! DREAMWEAVER! COUGARSTAR! WISHSTAR!"

With one flick of her patchy white tail, Glisteningstar silenced the crowd of cats. "As such, Primrosepaw, Foxpaw." The apprentice's ears perked, though no excitment flashed in their eyes. The leaders of next shifted up a branch each to make room for the new members.

"Primrosepaw, you have shown yourself to be wise beyond your moons, and I believe you are ready to become a leader of next." Brightstar meowed. Primrosepaw nodded softly.

"Oh mighty StarClan, look down on this young apprentice of next. She has trained hard to learn the ways of a leader, and we agree her to be worthy enough of the title." Glisteningstar meowed, her aged voice loud and clear.